PDA

View Full Version : Tormek your thoughts?

Russ Massery
08-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Just looking for input. Thinking of buying one. If you own one what jigs do you have. And do they work as advertised?

Steve Evans
08-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Russ

I have one and it does lots of things well. That being said, unless you're going to use it for turning tools, or have a lot of scissors to sharpen, I would probably lean toward the Veritas. I'm probably going to get the Veritas, and I may or may not keep the Tormek.

Steve

Bob Wingard
08-31-2006, 1:19 PM
Good tool .. .. kinda pricey .. .. poor ( in my personal experience ) support. JET has just introduced a clone that they claim is an improved model with a retail of $399 .. .. .. going on sale during September at all Woodcraft stores for $299 according to Ernie Conover who was demo'ing it at I.W.F. ALL jigs & fixtures seem to fit both units, making the JET ( again, my personal opinion ) a MUCH better deal !! !! !!

I've had a Tormek for about a year, and had I been aware of the JET competition, I would have waited.

Matt Meiser
08-31-2006, 1:26 PM
I've had mine for two years. Is it perfect? No. But, I have sharp tools rather than dull tools now. I actually take the couple of minutes to use it and don't mind it where I used to avoid sharpening because it took too much time and I didn't enjoy it. I have the standard jig, knife jig, and scissor jig. Jeff Farris's wife(?) recommended the scissor jig over the platform I was going to get since the scissor jig came with a platform. I also got the stone truing tool which you need in my opinion. The Jet unit ends up at about the same price as a Tormek when you start buying jigs, at least when I saw the initial ads a month or so ago.

Chuck Nickerson
08-31-2006, 1:30 PM
I've ended up with all the jigs because all the odd stuff you'll sharpen (particularly carving chisels) works best on the Tormek. If you're just doing chisels and plane blades, ther are less expensive ways to go. Their advertising claim is correct: you will never draw the temper from you steel. However, if you're making a significant change to an iron's primary bevel, it will take quite a while.

Alan DuBoff
08-31-2006, 1:34 PM
I think the Tormek is pretty good myself, although I don't own one, I've used a friends to sharpen about 2 dozen edge tools previously. I thought it worked well.

I was almost going to buy one, but saw the Lap-Sharp and decided to get it instead.

I love my Lap-Sharp, and the edge I get with it is darn near perfect. No microbevel, just a perfect bevel at the angle the jig is set for.

Lots of folks use the Veritas Mark II and like it also.

My take is that any of these systems work reasonably well, and certainly well enough to sharpen edge tools for any woodworker. The Tormek seems popular with turners, as it has the jig for those. The jig for turning tools is extra for the Lap-Sharp. Pick one and learn how to use it reasonably well, and work some wood.

Even if it's water stones, or scary-sharp, just pick one and learn to use it. Scary-sharp is certainly a good way to sharpen edge tools inexpensively.

Mark Singer
08-31-2006, 1:37 PM
I have the Tormek and the Veritas Mk II . For chisels and planes I perfer the Veritas....they are both good

John Bush
08-31-2006, 2:04 PM
Hi Alan, What is the Lap-Sharp system? I have an older Delta sharpening system that isn't very effective and have been looking for one that works and is in a more favorable cost bracket, Thanks, John.

Bob Smalser
08-31-2006, 3:05 PM
If you take the time to learn to hone freehand, or find a coach to teach you, you'll never have to endure the expense or the time necessary to set up all those jigs. Gouges and carving tools, plane irons and chisels...even lathe tools....a couple seconds freehand touchup as needed during the day will save you huge amounts of time compared to waiting til it's dull and fussing with machine and jig.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12747&highlight=basic+sharpening

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5090019/69053997.jpg

Alan DuBoff
08-31-2006, 4:12 PM
Hi Alan, What is the Lap-Sharp system? I have an older Delta sharpening system that isn't very effective and have been looking for one that works and is in a more favorable cost bracket, Thanks, John.You can see it here (http://www.woodartistry.com/). It's a system that uses water on the disk, so no dust is dispersed in the air. It is sold at Rockler, some Woodcrafts, and Don Naples goes to many shows. Don does use SMC, maybe he'll chime in and provide some info.

Water stones also work for folks, as noted in this thread. They are one way to sharpen, but not the only way. This is what I personally like about woodworking, I don't have to do everything like someone else does it, and for me my lap-sharp works fine, along with some water stones for touch up. All of our milage varies, always best to have an open mind rather than believing our way is the only way and that everyone should do that.

Again, whatever system you use, learn to make it work for you. Scary-sharp is a darn good one, and inexpensive system. Cheaper than water stones.