PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 13" Planer Users...

Tom Henry
08-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I just purchased this tool and was looking for some feed back from some users that have this machine. Pros, Cons, and what to look out for...

Thanks
Tom

Ralph Barhorst
08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I have one of these and the only problem that I have had is that sawdust gets into the gears that change the speed from 6o to 90. Most of the time I cannot get it into the 90 position.

This requires some teardown of the planer to remove the sawdust.

Kind of a pain.:mad: :mad:

Tom Henry
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Do you run it with a dust collector?

Michael Panis
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
It's a great tool. You'll have lots of fun with it. I use it with the optional dust collector connector.
The only problem I've hit is that the dust collector can get stuffed and clog, but it's very accessible to clean out.

As with any planer, it's relatively easy to notch a knife. Two mistakes I made, which hopefully you'll avoid:
o I planed some 2 x 4s from Home Depot. They had small stones embedded in the wood. I've been told some people religiously wire brush all wood.
o I put some plywood through the planer. Plywood, apparently, can scratch the knives.

Enjoy! You made a good choice.

Joe Spear
08-31-2006, 1:54 PM
I had that planer. After a couple months, the speed change wouldn't work. I did without it for a couple years because the 60-cpi did a good job. The chip collecting attachment clogged up easily, but somebody on one of the forums recommended bending open the slot that the chips fed into. So instead of a long straight slot, you get a long slot that is slightly bowed in the middle. It worked better after that was done. About 6 weeks ago I changed the blades. It started making a strange noise, so I shut it down and took it to the Delta service center near here. They took five weeks to get it back to me, but now it ran quieter, and the speed-change worked even though it took a really hard push to get it into the 90-cpi mode. Anyhow, during the time it was being repaired, I heard a lot about the Makita 12" planer. I had some credits on Amazon, so I ended up getting it for $300. It seems less complicated than the Delta, the chip collector has a wide-open mouth, it has automatic snipe control, and the planed wood surface is excellent. I put my Delta on Craig's list for $275, and it was gone the next day (yesterday, in fact). If the Delta had gotten back to me from the service center faster, I might not have gotten the Makita. But I'm happy with the Makita and would have been content to keep the Delta, also. I hope I don't miss the extra inch of width capacity. I never thought that the blades chipped or wore out too easily. By the way, the cheapest place I have to buy them is Lowe's: $30 a set.

Tom Henry
08-31-2006, 2:10 PM
Joe-

Thanks for the heads up. I have found blades for 16 on ebay new. The dust collector I have already bent the opening wider for easier chip collection. Only time will tell if this was a good purchase. How many bf did you get out of a set of blades?

Rob Diz
08-31-2006, 2:40 PM
I have that planer and really like it. I have run over 300bf through it without any issues.

One thing I learned while I was researching this model is that you need to keep the fold down beds well waxed for the best planing. It's the truth.

I now wax 'em each time I finish using the machine, and don't have a problem.

Mark Carlson
08-31-2006, 3:08 PM
I've had one for 2 or 3 years. I've been happy with it and havn't had any issues with it. A few comments come to mind. Its big and heavy for a portable. The makita would be a better choice if portability is an issue. Knive changes are a breeze because it uses indexed pins. I dont see much difference between the two speeds so I leave it on the faster setting.

~mark

Tom Henry
08-31-2006, 4:15 PM
Mark-
Thanks for the help...

Joe Spear
08-31-2006, 4:25 PM
I don't have any idea how many board-feet I got out of a set of blades, but after almost three years, that last set I put on was only the third.

John Hulett
08-31-2006, 5:55 PM
I have one... the only issue has been poor gripping of the board being fed through; I've had the "help" some along with light use.

Joe Spear
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
I never had any problem with gripping the boards, but I also wiped the rollers with alcohol regularly to clean them.

Jerry Olexa
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
I love mine. Had about 2 years of light usage and orig blades!!

Ernie Hobbs
08-31-2006, 11:30 PM
I have had this planer for about two years. I am happy with it and have few complaints. I'm on my second side of the original set of blades and probably need to replace someday soon. I bought an extra set a year ago but haven't needed them yet. Regarding dust collection, I orginally had problems with my 1 hp delta shopmaster dust collector and a homemade dust chute. I had a lots of clogging but, I fixed it. I clipped the cross hairs on my intake for the dust collector (I know this isn't recommended and will probably eventually ruin my DC but, it sure does work better) and bought the Delta chute on Amazon. After that, no problems.

If I had to buy again, I'd get it again at the price I paid for it. I know the Dewalt is supposed to be better but, I only paid $250 for mine and the lowest the Dewalt has been running is in the $400 range.

scott spencer
09-01-2006, 7:03 AM
Mine's worked well for over 2 years. I'm not fond of the DC chute and have a few other knitpicks. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www99.epinions.com/content_156115177092

Jake Helmboldt
09-03-2006, 3:39 PM
Keep the beds waxed and rollers clean and the wood won't stick going through. The knives seems to knick easily, but supposedly you can slightly offset them and eliminate any ridges. I've been to lazy to do so and simply knock it off while finishing.

The Delta gives me virtually zero snipe 99% of the time and the finish is very smooth. I got it for well under retail, so it was a much better buy than the Dewalt 735. I only use a shop-vac for DC and it does a decent job. I've not had any plugging problems, but I take light cuts.

Enjoy it. JAke

Robert Mickley
09-03-2006, 3:45 PM
I've been prety happy with mine, same complaints as everyone else thoug, the dust collection pugs easy and the speed control sticks. The only thing I've ever broke was the head lock, stripped the threads from over tightening it. My fault not deltas.

Michael Disorbo
09-03-2006, 6:07 PM
I owned this planer for 3 years and ran a ton of lumber through it with no complaints except for what I paid for replacement I could have bought another planer and I dont think she would hae gone another year. I recently upgraded to a Grizzly G0453 and found out that I can plane lumber twice as fast and have no doubt the Grizzly will outlast the Delta. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the bigger Grizzly instead of the Delta. If you are hobbiest and dont do alot of planing, the Delta is fine. If you are a woodworker and want a machine that will last you a long time and run a lot of lumber through it the Delta will not take it forever. All in all its a good little planer for the price.

Joe Mioux
09-03-2006, 8:40 PM
I like mine. I ussually keep it on the faster speed it works well.

Like others have said the 90 speed is sometimes gets stuck.

Changing blades is easy, just wish it was faster.

joe

Tom Henry
09-05-2006, 2:26 PM
Well Thank You to all that gave me your feed back. I am new to this site and everyone here seems to be very nice.

Thank You!
Tom