PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, Mass/Berkshires-Any WWing?

Jerry Olexa
08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a short business trip up to Springfield, Mass. area in a few weeks. Are there any Woodworking attractions in that general area: WWing, interesting stores, old tool sources (planes, etc), etc. I expect to have some free time ( I hope) and will have a rental car. Your ideas will be appreciated. Thanks JO

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
don't know about any lumber people there but the Red lion Inn in Stockbridge has a very nice restaurant called the Widow Binghams's Tavern and a great little pub called the Lion's Den.
It is, i think, the nicest restaurant in the area.

Henry Cavanaugh
08-31-2006, 3:41 PM
Jerry
new England is full of Antique dealers and has the usuall new WW type stores. I think some better options are
1) berkproducts.com bring a bib you will drool
2) historic-deerfield.com Go inside old (1700's) houses with furniture, recommended. In the same town is the Yankee Candle flagship store which I dont recommend but is a big tourist trap for some.
3) Old Sturbridge Village osv.org
4) Hancock shaker village woodworking shop uses water power. Many buildings with the furniture seen in shaker books.The famous round stone barn etc,etc.
5) There are other shaker villages but I like hancock best.
6) cowls.com a 1700's saw mill that has a viewing station showing how lumber is cut. Never been but saw a show on TLC about it.
7) Starrett I think has a tour.
8) I should know but I doubt that Stanley or Millers falls has any kind of museum. The only museum in area that I know of is a farm tool machinery one.
9)Smith College in Northampton 30 minutes away has a beautiful art museum. They Commissioned 10 local woodworkers for $10k each to build a bench. Trust me these are not your typical woodworking magazine benches. You may know of Silas Koff from Northampton whos bench with marquetry back is worth seeing alone.All benches worth much more than the 10K

If I am hitting the wrong flavor let me know. # 1 and 4 would make an awsome day 1/2 an hour or so apart which I would like to do again.

You can look at and buy a 1900 plane or chisel anywhere so why not see something different.

http://www.osv.org/Welcome.html?L=/tour/index.php # 3 above

Roger Myers
08-31-2006, 4:03 PM
Jerry
new England is full of Antique dealers and has the usuall new WW type stores. I think some better options are
1) berkproducts.com bring a bib you will drool
2) historic-deerfield.com Go inside old (1700's) houses with furniture, recommended. In the same town is the Yankee Candle flagship store which I dont recommend but is a big tourist trap for some.

http://www.osv.org/Welcome.html?L=/tour/index.php # 3 above

I could (and have) spend a whole day (and a large amount of cash) at Berkshire - here is the link....
http://www.berkproducts.com/
but you really have to see this stuff first hand. A bit of a hike to get to, but pretty country and well worth the trip.

Deerfield is great, especially if you are interested in period furniture...

Roger

Art Mulder
08-31-2006, 4:13 PM
4) Hancock shaker village woodworking shop uses water power. Many buildings with the furniture seen in shaker books.The famous round stone barn etc,etc.

I visited Hancock Shaker Village back in July '99 and had a grand time there.

But if you're going there, then you are within about 20-30 minutes drive, if I recall correctly, of Falcon-Wood tools (http://www.oldtools.com/) Which is a nice oldtool dealer. It is run out of a house, but has a pretty big showroom. Call ahead, as they don't have normal hours.

And this isn't woodworking at all but also nearby is the Norman Rockwell Museum.

Jerry Olexa
08-31-2006, 10:30 PM
don't know about any lumber people there but the Red lion Inn in Stockbridge has a very nice restaurant called the Widow Binghams's Tavern and a great little pub called the Lion's Den.
It is, i think, the nicest restaurant in the area.

The plans, I'm told, include a lunch or dinner @ Red Lion Inn. Hear its great place..

Jerry Olexa
08-31-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm excited already. Some great ideas guys. My time isn't scheduled yet but I plan to make some time to pursue some of your suggestions. Thanks...I'll continue to read this thread till i leave.

Jerry Olexa
09-04-2006, 6:46 PM
With the system down a few days, I'm taking the liberty :) of "bumping" this back up front. Already some good tips, but maybe, hopefully, there's an undiscovered pearl or two in W. Mass we haven't discussed. This info will help me pursue worthwhile stops instead of the usual hotel restaurant and lounge:) :D . Thanks guys!