PDA

View Full Version : Doughnut chuck?

Ben Werner
08-31-2006, 10:10 AM
I got plans for one and I am planning on building it soon. The only thing the instructions are unclear on is the type of padding I should use. Any specific reconmendation for a type that pads the wood without marring it? Also do you put the padding where the top of the bowl touches??
Thanks Ben

Stuart Johnson
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
I use Foamies purchased at Wal-Mart for the chuck part and a split piece of hose around inside of the donut hole. Remember you only need it snug so there is no need to crank down on the holding nuts.

Jim King
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I used sandel sole material bought at the local shoemaker. Click on this file http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=365282#poststop

Quinn McCarthy
08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Ben

I just built one and used a really cheap router mat I got from Menards. It worked great.

Mike Ramsey
08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Like Quinn, I use a router mat from HF=(cheap) works real good!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2006, 1:39 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and get some of their foam shelf lining. About $4 for a whole roll which will do several donuts.

Ben Werner
08-31-2006, 4:39 PM
How thick foam should I use? and different sizes for the differnt parts?

Rob Leslie
11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I understand the idea of the donut chuck and can see one in my future. I would like to look at some plans before I start cutting and drilling, though.

Does anyone have a plan they would like to share? Also, any tips to be aware of?

Thanks,

Rob

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm with Rob - I would also like to see some ideas of donut chucks as I plan on making something very soon. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ben Werner
11-04-2007, 2:08 PM
i'll see if I can dig up those instructions. the issue i have had with it though is getting the bowl centered, and tightening the bolts equally. its a bit of a hassle and I've given up trying to use it:mad:. but thats just me. I settle for some jaw marks...:o. I'm just hoping to get a vac system sometime in the near future.

Jim King
11-04-2007, 2:23 PM
Here is a photo if it will help. The back plywood peice is just screwed onto a faceplate. Make several sizes , you wont be able to live without them..

Harvey M. Taylor
11-04-2007, 4:43 PM
Before I built my vacuum chuck, I made a donut chuck, a longworth, and
a jam chuck in addition to jumbo jaws.Be sure, as Jim did, just put 3 bolts in it to hold it together and especially put the wing nuts on the back side. They hurt.If you retain the dimple in the center of the foot you can put the tail stock point in it, then tighten it it will be centered.The reason for 3 instead of 4 there wont be any opposing bolts to tighten unevenly. If these suggestions dont help. come back and ask some more questions. Max

joe greiner
11-05-2007, 6:56 AM
I'm currently working on a project which needs 5 bolts, because of some 5-fold symmetry. Two suggestions for more accurate centering (also applies to multi-button Longworths): Hold the piece centered with the tailstock while you tighten the bolts or buttons; and tighten the bolts by skipping across the diameter instead of working around the perimeter (same as tightening the lug nuts on a car wheel in a star pattern).

Joe

Rob Leslie
11-05-2007, 9:12 PM
Surely, someone must have a favorite donut plan........

Rob Leslie
11-11-2007, 9:25 AM
It's a lazy Sunday, has anyone found plans for a donut chuck?

Thanks,

Rob

Ben Werner
11-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi

Sorry I never got this, I've been realllly busy, school play was this weekend which meant long days all week. but here it is now... better late then never right? :rolleyes:

donut chuck plans (http://turnwood.net/projects/DoughnutChuck.pdf)

Ben

Rob Leslie
11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks Ben!!:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2007, 2:26 PM
Thanks Ben!! Exactly what I was looking for!

Allen Neighbors
11-11-2007, 8:39 PM
I made a donut chuck that uses 3"x1/4" rubberbands instead of bolts. It's much easier to mount and you don't have to keep different sizes of bolts.
Just Open-ended keyhole slots in the edge of your chuck rounds, with the round part inside.
Mount the bowl with about 2 or 3 bands, bring up your tailstock to center the bowl, and then put on about a dozen rubberbands. It works well.
But I seldom use it, because I made Longworth Chucks that work much better.

ROY DICK
11-12-2007, 9:09 AM
http://http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DONUT+CHUCK&btnG=Google+Search

I am goin' to make the 2nd one down.

Roy

ROY DICK
11-12-2007, 9:13 AM
My apologies. I didn't notice that there was a 2nd page before I added this.:(

Roy

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2007, 9:20 AM
Not exactly plans but it may help if you haven't already seen it.:)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40779

After a few additions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59512&d=1173117322

I used the foam pad with a metallic quilted cover that goes under wood flooring. I had it handy from another project and it worked great with no slippage. I also cut my center holes on a bevel and glued leather pads to the bevel at the bolt holes, it keeps from marring the bowls.

Allen Neighbors
11-12-2007, 2:50 PM
I realize my verbiage was a little hard to understand, so I decided to post a pic of the one I used to have on Old Griz. This chuck is mounted on a wooden faceplate that threads onto the spindle. The base is 7 layers of 3/4" plywood that is turned into a cone shape, which makes it easier to center the piece. I glued triangles of mouse pad to the cone to hinder damage to the bowl's rim. The rubber bands hook over screwheads in the back of the base. (I rounded them off to keep them from being sharp.) I used a small rubber-backed kitchen rug from WalMart for the circles for the donuts to rest against.
Five rubbers in each of 8 places will hold this 11" dia bowl.

joe greiner
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Neat setup, Al. Also confirms sisterhood of the Griz (5979?) with HF34706, MC900, etc. etc. (Might have been in the other hemisphere, now that I think about it.)

Joe

Grant Wilkinson
11-13-2007, 3:10 PM
Being a diver, I use cut-up old wetsuits for mine.

Dean Thomas
11-13-2007, 7:15 PM
Another choice would be the one that can be seen in Woodturning Wizardry and there are a bunch of other nifty gadgets in that book as well. Written by David Springett and published (2nd Edition) in the US by Fox Chapel.

If you search for the book on Amazon.com, you can look at the sample pages and see a picture of his chuck.