PDA

View Full Version : New Delta 20" VS drill press

Eddie Darby
08-31-2006, 2:41 AM
I was on the woodworking channel and saw a clip about a new Delta 20" VS drill press with a digital read and a laser and a woodworking type table for 1/4 x 20 fixtures. Table tilts left/right and forward!
Does anyone have more info on this, such as the product number, or price?

http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

Chris Padilla
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Eddie,

Let me be the first to welcme you to SawMill Creek! I'd have to say that I have not heard of this new beast from Delta.

Mark Rios
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Welcome Eddie.

Delta's website doesn't yet list a DP as you mention. The do, however, have a pretty neato 16 1/2" DP with VS and cross-hair alignment capability.

Corey Hallagan
08-31-2006, 10:12 PM
I saw that drill press as well. It looks great. Jet has a new one as well but Deltas has nice features in my opinion.

Corey

Eddie Darby
09-01-2006, 1:50 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome! :-) As well thanks for the replies!

I didn't know that Jet has a new drill press as well. I'll have to check that out. Do you have anymore information on it?

I saw on the same channel ( thewoodworkingchannel.com ) that Powermatic has a new drill press as well. I know from other advertisements that it is called PM2800. It seems that the ribbons will be off it this September. The table has pull-out extensions, which is nice.

I know about the new Delta 16 1/2" drill press ( 17-950L ), and the 20" VS looks like it has the same table. Nice to see tables being designed for woodworking for a change.

I should have mentioned that in the interview with the Delta representative, he mentioned that the stroke on the drill press was 6 inches, which is another nice feature! I guess I'll just have to wait for Delta to release it on their site!

Jacob Larsen
09-03-2006, 9:45 PM
On the front page of http://www.finewoodworking.com they have a link to a video segment they did on the new Delta drill presses as well as pricing, etc. They look pretty good!

Jon Eckels
09-03-2006, 9:51 PM
wow, that's a really nice drillpress.

I have no audio on this computer - so I could only see the video, not hear it. what does the wheel on the top do? does that change the speed? (for all I know, this may be a common feature - but I'm still changing my belts manually, and i've not looked into a new drill press in a long time)

Andrew Ault
09-04-2006, 1:55 PM
Jon, the wheel at the top is for adjusting the variable speed.

It has a 6" quill travel and a really nice depth stop.

For $200 more, the high end model has a digital display for RPM and quill travel, with zero-out capability..

The oversize table has a replacable MDF insert and it looks like a pair of T-slots.

Man, that is one nice drill press!

Corey Hallagan
09-04-2006, 3:43 PM
Eddie, from what I saw the Jet doesn't have as nice of features as the Delta. The table doesn't tilt both ways like the delta and I think it is a reves drive on the VS, I may be mistaken but I thought the Delta is digital variable speed.

corey

Eddie Darby
09-05-2006, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the lead on the video. The speeds are 200 RPM ( nice for big forstner bit drilling ) to 2500 RPM and it is variable speed, with 6" of quill travel, along with 20" of swing. The MDF cut-out in the table is 3 3/8" x 3 3/8" square, so you can put a sanding drum through it. The slots are for the standard 1/4 x 20 bolts that most jigs use. The base is extra wide for stability. Table tilts left and right, as well as forward, which I am sure will be appreciated by chair makers!
The gentleman in the video mention two prices, No digital readout for depth and speed - $700 ............, and with a digital readout - $900. Still no model number and release date. :confused: Can anyone tell me how many more days to Christmas?:rolleyes:

Larry Cooke
09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Still no model number and release date. :confused: Can anyone tell me how many more days to Christmas?:rolleyes: Article below the video screen says the following:

"Christiana also takes a look at the Delta 20-959LX, an upgrade to the 20-950 with a digital readout for speed and quill travel, a laser pointer, and two ranges of variable-speed. Both drill presses are expected to be available in December 2006. The 20-950 will sell for $749; the 20-959LX will sell for $949."

Larry

Eddie Darby
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks! I know I should have scrolled down the page!!!! :rolleyes: I guess it's time to start saving up money, or do you think it could be called a Christmas stocking stuffer?

Larry Cooke
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I guess it's time to start saving up money, or do you think it could be called a Christmas stocking stuffer?I'm leaning towards stocking stuffer and hoping for one more gift. Of course, I'm not holding my breath... :rolleyes:

I must admit that this DP has a lot going for it, would like to hear the reviews though. Delta has been up and down on their quality issues of late and if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a DP I want to be sure I get all my monies worth.

Larry

Eddie Darby
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for reviews and I'll try not to be too naughty. :rolleyes: :( :confused: :cool: :D

Eddie Darby
10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I did a search for "20-959LX" and see that a couple of stores now are stocking it. I hope we can get a report on the quality soon...hint to all magazines!

Bill Fleming
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
The 20-959LX is currently available in the Tool store of Amazon for $900 with free shipping. It is interesting that a search on Delta's site turns up nothing yet a search on the Amazon site gives a quick hit.

Dave Bureau
12-09-2006, 11:16 AM
anuone know who is stocking this drill press?

Steve Kohn
12-09-2006, 5:14 PM
I just go the latest issue of American Woodworker (issue #126). Both the new Powermatic and Delta DP's are listed with pricing. See page 28

Frank Snyder
12-10-2006, 8:29 PM
I just thought those interested in this drill press would like to know that it is now listed on Delta's website with a new relase date of March 2007 (wasn't it supposed to be this month?) Oh well...

glenn bradley
12-10-2006, 9:30 PM
Regarding the Powermatic, you may want to check Frank Snyder's post in this forum.

Dave Bureau
12-11-2006, 8:54 AM
i.ve been waiting for the delta but was going to consider the powermatic because it is available now. After reading some of the posts on the powermatic, I think i'll wait for the Delta. Seems like a much better drill press anyway.