PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi M12V and 1/4 bits

Jerry Baldwin
10-07-2003, 9:34 AM
I can not get a 1/4 bit to stay in my M12V. All of a sudden, it's moving out of the collet, ruining the wood, and then it flys out of the router. I've torqued it down as much as I can and it still won't stay in.

Does anyone else have that problem? Has anyone else solved it?

Thanks.

Jerry

John Miliunas
10-07-2003, 9:44 AM
I can not get a 1/4 bit to stay in my M12V. All of a sudden, it's moving out of the collet, ruining the wood, and then it flys out of the router. I've torqued it down as much as I can and it still won't stay in.

Thanks.

Jerry

First, welcome to the Creek! Great place to hang out.

As for the collet issue, is this happening with *all* of your 1/4" bits or did it just happen with a single one? I've got the M12V in my arsenal of routers and, until recently, it was dedicated to my TS extension/router table. Used many a 1/4" bits with the collet and no issues. :cool:

Jim Bills
10-07-2003, 10:09 AM

Thanks.

Jerry

Jerry, I solved this same problem by making sure the slot in the 1/4" adapter aligns with the slot in the main collet. Never had a problem since this simple correction in technique.

Jerry Baldwin
10-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Jerry, I solved this same problem by making sure the slot in the 1/4" adapter aligns with the slot in the main collet. Never had a problem since this simple correction in technique.

Thanks Jim. I tried that last night and it works a "little" better - it stayed in the router for about 2" instead of 1"

John, so far it's happened with all the bits I've tried in it. It's very frustrating. Everyone praises the router but if I can't get the bit to stay in it I may have to go back to one of my other routers in the table.

John Miliunas
10-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks Jim. I tried that last night and it works a "little" better - it stayed in the router for about 2" instead of 1"

John, so far it's happened with all the bits I've tried in it. It's very frustrating. Everyone praises the router but if I can't get the bit to stay in it I may have to go back to one of my other routers in the table.

Jerry, this is just a WAG, but if you've already tried what Jim has suggested, I would think the most probable diagnosis on this would be the collet wasn't properly machined. If either, the OD is too small or the ID is too big, that would indicate consistent problems. If your 1/2" bits are staying put, then I would probably rule out the 1/2" collet itself and more readily suspect the add-in slotted collet (1/4"). Try contacting Hitachi Customer Service on it. It's a cheap item and they shouldn't have any qualms with sending you out a replacement. Good luck and keep us posted. :cool:

Todd Burch
10-07-2003, 11:54 AM
I use mostly 1/2" shanks in my M12V, but I do use 1/4" shanks frequently. I bought the Hitachi 1/4" collet and have had no problems whatsoever. Where did you get your collet? Or, perhaps more appropriately, who made it?

Todd.

Jerry Baldwin
10-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Update. I just got off the phone with Hitachi support and they're sending me a new sleeve. I hope that does the trick. I just picked up an Incra Ultra Jig (insert small gloat here - Jig with all templates, Woodpecker router table top with legs and insert - all for $80 - oops, almost forgot, also included a Black and Decker 1 1/2 HP plunge router) and it's hard to make those joints if the bit doesn't stay in.

I'm still working on trying to cut my first box joint with it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jerry Baldwin
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I use mostly 1/2" shanks in my M12V, but I do use 1/4" shanks frequently. I bought the Hitachi 1/4" collet and have had no problems whatsoever. Where did you get your collet? Or, perhaps more appropriately, who made it?

Todd.

Todd, I didn't even know they made a 1/4" collet. I thought the sleeve was my only option. Did you buy the collet directly from Hitachi?

John Miliunas
10-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Todd, I didn't even know they made a 1/4" collet. I thought the sleeve was my only option. Did you buy the collet directly from Hitachi?

Me neither! I'll bet that would be the BEST solution! :cool:

Todd Burch
10-07-2003, 1:28 PM
Well, perhaps I've used a wrong term. My Router has a 1/2" collet - only. I use the Hitachi 1/4" sleeve inside the 1/2" collet to accept 1/4" shanks. Sorry for any confusion.

I just looked on the Hitachi web site - they call it a "chuck sleeve".

Oh, and get this review:

“The Hitachi M12V router has the best collet of any router I examined. If you have ever had a router bit stick in the collet, you will really appreciate this design. This is the type of collet you might expect to find on a shaper, not a hand-held router. The collet is threaded onto the router spindle and doesn’t need a separate retaining nut. This design locks and releases router bits better than typical collets which use a separate retaining nut – it grips tightly and won’t stick!” “For combined use, both in and out of the router table, you should probably choose a router that has a good mix of features for both applications like the Hitachi M12V…”( Rick Christopherson, “Shop Test: Monster Plunge Routers”; Woodworker’s Journal Feb. 2000: 54-60)

I guess Rick didn't test the sleeve! Perhaps a little TOO non-stick!

Todd.