PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 719T Mortiser

Dan Montgomery
08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I am considering purchasing this machine, but have very little background with hollow chisel mortisers. I have heard various opinions, but am seeking some guidance from someone with experience who would be kind enough to share some information. I want to get away from handwork involved with routing mortices and go to a machine to do the job. I have been led to believe that this may be the best choise in its price range and class (1HP). Also, I am learning that the quality of chisel sets can vary a lot by manufacture. If anyone can give some experienced advise, I would be grateful. Does a machine of this type, equiped with good quality properly sharp chisels and bits, produce a good quality mortise that does not require handwork to finish?

Thanks

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-31-2006, 6:44 AM
I have that machine, and would seriously consider 'upgrading' to the tilting table if that's still a different model. The tilt came out a couple months after I bought mine. The similar General mortiser is also well thought of.

I use JET chisels...around $100 for a set of 5 (maybe 4). I've used JET chisels for several years and found them to be just as serviceable as spendier ones, and I use them 'out of the box' with no honing.

With any mortiser, you'll feel the need to clean out the bottom of the hole with a chisel if you're picky.

KC

Russ Massery
08-31-2006, 6:57 AM
Krik, Hit on something about the need to clean the bottom. It's nessasary evil of hollow chisel mortisers. While they make the task easier. There is a need clean up the sides of the very bottom. At least I found this true with my Delta unit.

Bob Lang
08-31-2006, 9:12 AM
I'd take a look at the Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser. Unless you're in an industrial situation making mortises day in and day out or working regularly with extremely large material it would be hard to justify the extra $700+ for the 719. We've been using the Benchtop for several months now and are pretty pleased overall.

my $.02

Bob Lang