PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

Keith Burns
08-30-2006, 9:18 PM
I recieved this Maple Blank from Jim Ketron and finally decided to give it a whirl. I rough turned it, then DNA for 24 hours, then set out for two weeks. Not a whole lot of warping and no cracking. The piece has a lot of curl which does not show up well. I also burnt the collar. Measures 9-1/4" dia. x 6-1/4" tall. The base is 2" and the entry hole is 1-5/8". Wipe on gel poly and buffed. As always comments are welcome as well as your critiques, which are appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2006, 9:55 PM
Keith that is a beauty. I like the form and the burnt collar. I never thought to try that. Nice job.

Andy Hoyt
08-30-2006, 9:57 PM
I've got a couple of pieces of Jim's maple doing the post-bath thing right now. Formwise one of them will look just like yours - so guess what?

I really like the form on yours!:D

Ernie Nyvall
08-30-2006, 10:52 PM
That's a beautiful form Keith. The wood aint too bad either:D I like what you did with the collar... similar to the Thuya burl, but with as much white as is showing through, the collar doesn't look quite finished to me. I like it the way it is, but I'd like to see it all browned in too.

Barry Stratton
08-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Sorry Keith, but I don't like.....................ummm........well, I DO like it.

......and you shoulda............................well, made it just like you did.

I was going to say it was perfect, but Moxieman chimed in that he made one just like it so it is automatically downgraded to REALLY IMPRESSIVE!

That wood is something else, where do you guys find this stuff?

Dick Parr
08-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Wonderful looking HF Keith and I like the burning around the opening. A really great looking piece.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-31-2006, 3:08 AM
Very nicely done, Keith. I like that piece.

John Szarek
08-31-2006, 9:11 AM
Nice work. Do you find the DNA does anything to the figure in the wood? I have been avoiding using it because of that.

Travis White
08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Very nice! I'd like to know about the DNA as well, I have never used it on a bowl.

Frank Kobilsek
08-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Keith,
Nice piece. I especially like the burnt opening.

Thanks for telling me about this forum. I think I will like it here!

Frank

Keith Burns
09-03-2006, 8:49 PM
John and Travis the DNA does not affect the wood at all. As far as the process refer to the Articles Forum/Processing Bowl Blanks by Dennis Peacock.

Frank, welcome. I am sure you will like it here. Be sure to post some pics.

Thanks for the comment guys.