PDA

View Full Version : Bonehead Questions re Setting Up P-C HVLP Gun

Howard Rosenberg
08-30-2006, 8:31 PM
Hi all -

I've had my P-C HVLP spraygun a coupla months now.

Haven't sprayed with it!

That's right - I chickened out!!

Does anybody have any insight into the basics of the various controls on the gun AND the compressor?

In other words, set "A" first.
Next set "B".
Watch these characteristics.
Set "C".
etc etc

I've read my two books - Jewett and Flexner but, man, is this stuff intimidating....

Thank you.

Howard

Steve Clardy
08-30-2006, 8:55 PM
Ok. Set compressor regulator at normal 90-120, where ever you set it.

Lower screw knob on bottom of gun handle. This is air flow. Wide open.
Regulator on gun. Hook up air hose.
Pull lever and read gauge. Set Gauge to 25. [Thats what I run]
If you set gauge at 25#'s without pulling lever, you will not have 25#'s. It will be below 25.

After gun is filled with lacquer, etc.
Top screw to the rear is fluid. Screw all the way in. Thats 0.
Screw out 5-6 turns to start.
Knob on left side is the air fan pattern. Close completely.
Try on cardboard, scrap.
Open fan knob slowly and watch for fan width. It's a touchy knob, doesn't take much turning to open it.
Fan width on this gun is only 3 or so inches.
Adjust fluid control till you get a wet pattern.
Practice with scrap laying down to get what you need to lay down.
Then try it standing up. Practice your movement speed and amount of fluid there. Decrease fluid, or increase gun movement if you get a run

Its best if you can lay everything down to spray, but theres always that time that you have to spray the side of something standing up. So spend most of your practice time that way

Remember, you need 2-3 coats, so don't spray heavy

brent lenthall
08-30-2006, 9:40 PM
I would add one idea.

Depending of what your spraying, viscosity and tip size will greatly impact your settings and ability to lay down a good finish.

Put your finish in the cup and pull the trigger (no air lines hooked up, recycle the material into your container). You shoud get a steady stream that has a couple inches of horizontal travel. If not, your finish is too thick and needs thinning or a bigger tip/nozzle combo.

brent

Bob Reda
08-31-2006, 7:01 AM
Another way to check viscocity is after you stir the finish, pull out the stirrer, the drops should come off the stirrer about 1 per second.

Bob

john whittaker
08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
HOWARD...Come on man...Go For It :D

I am a complete newbie to spraying as well and just finished my first project. I was where you are about 2-weeks ago. As someone who just went through it...My advise is to just do it because it's much easier than I imagined.

If I had read Steve's advice here it would have been even easier. I would suggest, if your gun is OK with water based, to fill it up with water and practice spraying cardboard. This will teach you what each knob does and how it effects the spray. And on a hot day it's a great way to cool off.

Good Luck...but I don't think you'll need it.

Phil Phelps
09-05-2006, 8:04 PM
I would add one idea.

Depending of what your spraying, viscosity and tip size will greatly impact your settings and ability to lay down a good finish.

Put your finish in the cup and pull the trigger (no air lines hooked up, recycle the material into your container). You shoud get a steady stream that has a couple inches of horizontal travel. If not, your finish is too thick and needs thinning or a bigger tip/nozzle combo.

brent
How does pressure inter the cup to force the material out?

Steve Clardy
09-05-2006, 8:07 PM
It's gravity flow Phil.

Phil Phelps
09-05-2006, 9:02 PM
It's gravity flow Phil.
See whatcha' learn. Muchas...