PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Home Depot meant it this time!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-30-2006, 2:12 PM
Some of you might remember a number of years ago Home Depot was advertising that they would beat any price on tools and such. I found what was a pretty good deal on something I needed and called HD to see of they would honor their advertisement. The manager made no bones about not honoring the promise so I bought somewhere else.

A few years back when they were introducing the new Rigid line I bought one of the 3/8" cordless drills being sold with the "lifetime guarantee". I had misgivings about the warrenty, but I liked the feel of the drill so I bought it anyway.

I have posted the problems I had in my recent move and the damaged tools that resulted. The Rigid drill was one of he casualties. Now the drill wasn't ruined because I checked the speeds, reverse, the adjustable chuck relese and they all worked. The only problem was that the chuck was frozen shut with rust so I couldn't grab a bit. With the chuck frozen I couldn't use an allen wrench to losen the inside screw so there was no way for this tool less guy to get the chuck off so I could install another.

The upshot was that I took the drill to the local Home Depot for repair. I was up front about it being my fault and any idiot could see that the problem was with water being where it shouldn't have been. I said I would pay for the repair; I just wanted the drill fixed.

The usual turn around time they said was about a week so after over two weeks had passed I was in HD to pick some items so I checked on the drill. The little girl at the counter began calling around and after maybe ten minutes she said, "Well, they have determined that the drill is shot and are sending you another. Since you are here we will take one off the shelf and give it to you and then replace it with the one they are sending for you.

How about that? I walked out with a whole new drill, case, batteries, charger, the works. Yep, Home Depot stood behind it's promise this time. Kudos to Home Depot. Thought you would like to know.

Don Baer
08-30-2006, 3:17 PM
Don,
It's good to hear something positive about the Orange Borg. Congrats on the new drill.

Kyle Kraft
08-30-2006, 3:19 PM
Wow, congratulations Don. Sounds like HD stock just rose 2 3/8 points. I have had some good luck with Menards on lifetime guarantees also. They have exchanged the stuff without question.

Tyler Howell
08-30-2006, 4:00 PM
Hey Don,
Good to see you again. Missed your wisdom.:cool:

TJH

Ron Jones near Indy
08-30-2006, 8:19 PM
Glad to hear of your "good luck" with HD! I admit I'm shocked. Really glad to see you are back wading in the Creek.