PDA

View Full Version : Basswood finishing ?'s

Steve McKee
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I was at a local crafts store recently and saw some Basswood products, ovals, planks, etc. with the bark still attached. Has anyone used these and if so how do you finish them? Should it be done before or after engraving? I have a few ideas I would like to use this product for however being totally new to this I have no idea how best to go about it.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Steve

Mitchell Andrus
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Have a look here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23

You're asking a tough question 'cause there are a hundred ways to add color/apply a finish. I'd say to buy a few pieces and get to the borg and start 'sperimenting. Don't overlook clear spraybombs. And buy some 180 and 220 grit sandpaper for sanding between coats.

Mitch

Joe Pelonio
08-30-2006, 2:27 PM
Basswood is soft and for a decent finish takes 2-3 coats. You could wax it
instead of spraying. Best to do it before engraving to prevent or reduce any discoloration.

Aaron Koehl
08-30-2006, 3:05 PM
I believe I picked up one of those basswood plaques (with bark attached) with the intent to engrave something on it.

I think Keith used some Deft on it.. I can't even remember how many coats it took. It was like spraying a sponge.

Leigh Costello
08-31-2006, 12:12 AM
I picked up some basswood boxes at a sale and have had some success with using Wood Conditioner by Minwax before applying any finish. Eliminates the need for more than two coats of finish. Good luck.
Leigh