PDA

View Full Version : Finishing technique?

Hilel Salomon
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm almost to the point of wanting to put a nice finish on my bowls. So far, the bowls are just at the stage of giving it to granchildren and friends (who don't know enough and think they're "nice." I've used teak oil, tung oil and tried shellac, spray lacquer etc., but the pieces that are shiny are not smooth and the smooth pieces are not shiny. I have the beall system but haven't had much success with that...probably my technique is wrong. Anyway, all advice is welcome. Thanks, HB

Mike Vickery
08-30-2006, 1:23 PM
I am not a finishing expert but I have been able to get very smooth shiny finishes useing this method on homemade wipeing poly (spar urethane and turpentine mixed 50/50), Waterlox and a couple other oil based finishes. I have heard of people using the same basic process with Deft but I have not.

after sanding the bowl to the highest grit you have ( at least 600) I personally go higher. Wipe on a fairly thick coat of finish with a paper towel and let it sit for about 5 minutes (until tacky). Take a paper towel with a fair amount of solvent for the finish ( I use Mineral Spirits for all of the ones I listed use laquer thiner for deft) and wipe off excess finish. Let dry at least 8 hours rub with synthetic steel wood pad and reapply using same method. I start to get a good shine on about the 4th coat but like to do about six coats. On final coat let the finish cure for about a week then rub out with the 6 highest micromesh grits and put a coat of high qulaity paste wax on it.

This method leaves very thin layers of finish that are very smooth. It is practically idiot proof but does take alot of time. With a high gloss finish though it will magnify any sanding scratched that you have in the piece.