PDA

View Full Version : Checking Wood Moisture?

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2003, 10:27 PM
I also posted this as a follow up to my Box Elder Gloat Post, but I thought I would see if I could get some help regarding moisture in turning wood. Is there a rule to follow as to how long a turning blank, or rough turned bowl should sit before the final turn to ensure good stability and lessen the chance that it will distort when finished? I have turned some of the Elm I cut a month or so ago, and the tree was standing dead for over a year. There has been some movement in these Elm Bowls. No cracking, but a couple have ovaled slightly, maybe 1/8" to 1/4' out of round. The Box Elder I cut Saturday was also standing dead for about 1 year. I will turn some of this Elder into rough bowls, seal them and let them dry. Would the Moisture Meter be of help determining when they are ready to finish to eliminate the chance of movement and checking? So much to learn................ :)

Todd Burch
10-06-2003, 11:30 PM
I am not a turner.
I am not a turner.

But, yes, a wood moisture meter will aid you in telling when wood has reached equilibrium moisture content. When it reaches EMC, for the most part, it is done moving. Search on "EMC" or "equilibrium" for other posts relating to this topic and for sources to determine your local EMC.

Todd.