PDA

View Full Version : Buffing or just EEE Ultra shine?

Wayne Bitting
08-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I’ve read some posts on buffing and I like the results I see but do I need to spend the money? I have been using EEE ultra shine on my pens and bottle toppers and like the results. How much of a difference will there be if I buy the Beall bowl buff system and the 8” wheels and go through the three steps vs just using the EEE ultra shine? I may be coming into $150 which the wife is letting me have as freebee money which will cover the costs of the Beall systems but then again the EEE only cost $15.

Are there any other suggestions of sending the money on? I’ve got everything to do pens and bottle toppers and the basics for bowls. I seem to be spending a lot on stuff over the past year, but I haven’t been able to spend much time using them…

Mike Jory
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Wayne, I'm also in the buffing quandry. I seen some wonderful work that has the additional touch of having been buffed. For pens, I've been using the sanding sealer > EEE, > then friction polish. I like the finish, but I've heard it doeesn't hold up well over time. For bowls and platters, I've used wax, friction polish, lacquer, Polyurithane. I would suppose I could buff those out.

Although I could afford a Beal system, I've thought of the hastle of mounting it on the lathe for each project. :confused: Unless I go way overboard and get another slow speed motor... Way to obvious for my wife to notice where I spent the money:D

Eventually, I'll probably get a buff system because I believe it gives me another option, depending on the project. Such as buffing the above choices, or a CA finish on pens, which I'm still trying.
Good Luck
Mike

jeremy levine
08-30-2006, 1:44 PM
Wayne, I'm also in the buffing quandry. I seen some wonderful work that has the additional touch of having been buffed. For pens, I've been using the sanding sealer > EEE, > then friction polish. I like the finish, but I've heard it doeesn't hold up well over time. For bowls and platters, I've used wax, friction polish, lacquer, Polyurithane. I would suppose I could buff those out.

Although I could afford a Beal system, I've thought of the hastle of mounting it on the lathe for each project. :confused: Unless I go way overboard and get another slow speed motor... Way to obvious for my wife to notice where I spent the money:D

Eventually, I'll probably get a buff system because I believe it gives me another option, depending on the project. Such as buffing the above choices, or a CA finish on pens, which I'm still trying.
Good Luck
Mike

I am not an expert but from what I read it seems that EEE already has Tripoli powder in it , Tripoli is one of the steps in the Beal system. So I think you are really half way there , just wax or poly ( or poly and wax ). Also every where I read about EEE thier was a "NOTE:" that said this is not a finish for raw wood.