PDA

View Full Version : Granite Top

Byron Trantham
08-30-2006, 8:11 AM
I have been commissioned to re-design an existing kitchen Island. The Island has a stub wall that contains the power and water. The cabinets attached to the wall are not in great shape and they are the low-end stuff contractor's put in new houses. The sides are 1/2" particle board with vinyl covering. Here's the kicker; they want to replace the counter tops with granite! I was wondering if this kind of cabinet construction would support a hunk of granite? I was going to ask the granite shop but I was afraid that they would "sell me the granite" rather actually know about structures.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-30-2006, 9:19 AM
a stub wall that contains the power and water. Can it support the majority of the granite?

The cabinets attached to the wall are not in great shape and they are the low-end stuff contractor's put in new houses. The sides are 1/2" particle board with vinyl covering.
Particle board changes shape with the humidity. It also changes shape under a load.
Half inch PB is pretty strong stuff but it may sag and bow under a heavy static load.
A year or two out your clients may have cracked granite.

Can you install something to suppliment the PB?

Jim Becker
08-30-2006, 9:20 AM
Any decent stone shop will tell you honestly what the support requirements are for their product to be installed correctly and safely. That said, remember that the weight is really spread out a lot and that even a cheesy structure can support a lot more weight than you might expect. That said, it seems to me that in re-designing the island, the "stub" is part of it and should also be subject to revision if you feel it is inadequate. Cliff brings up good points why...

Bill White
08-30-2006, 9:52 AM
kinda like puttin' an English saddle on a jackass.
Yep. It will hold up the tops, but what do the cabs look like. Good, OK, shabby....?
Might want to re-do the cabs too.
Bill