PDA

View Full Version : Q about stacked circle bowls

Stephen Hibbs
08-30-2006, 1:44 AM
I'm not entirely sure what they're called, but they're the bowls made out of a plank of wood cut in circles and glued stacked up and turned. I was wondering, how do you glue the circles together? I was thinking of using the tailstock on my lathe to jam the rings together while the glue dries.Is there a better way to do this, like put something heavy on top of the bowl? Also, would titebond do the trick, or should I use CA glue, and if so, thick or thin?

Thank you,
Stephen

Horst Hohoff
08-30-2006, 3:21 AM
Stephen,
The tailstock will do the trick, or you could use a wide F clamp, if you have one of suitable size. Titebond will be fine, as long as you only glue longgrain to longgrain. But this will be the case, when you're cutting up a plank.
Horst

Ken Salisbury
08-30-2006, 3:28 AM
I'm not entirely sure what they're called, but they're the bowls made out of a plank of wood cut in circles and glued stacked up and turned. I was wondering, how do you glue the circles together? I was thinking of using the tailstock on my lathe to jam the rings together while the glue dries.Is there a better way to do this, like put something heavy on top of the bowl? Also, would titebond do the trick, or should I use CA glue, and if so, thick or thin?

Thank you,
Stephen

Clamps, clamps, clamps

Stephen Hibbs
08-30-2006, 2:02 PM
Thank you guys, also, how do you glue up a bunch of trapezoids into a rough circle? I saw a clamp in a magazine that wrapped around a circular glue job like a hose, is that the only way?

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-30-2006, 2:09 PM
Nice Segmented, Ken, but I believe he's NOT talking about a Segmented bowl; just stacked rings.

It that case, I would suggest gluing two rings together, place between two pieces of plywood and Weight down. Six ring bowl, make three stacks of two. then glue them together, add base and turn.

The only problem you will have is that you will be turning side grain AND END grain unless you do what Ken suggested and make a SEGMENTED bowl.

Those can be spectacular!

Bruce

Jeff Myers
08-30-2006, 3:20 PM
Stephen,
I made a "binders" press to glue up layered bowls that might work just fine...but may be more work than you're looking to get into. I'm thinking
you could easily make a simple press with 2 mdf "plates" with a threaded
rod attached to center of the bottom plate and a hole in the center of the top plate,,,with the bottom plate laying flat on the table and the threaded rod in it's center standing straight up,,slide the rings over the rod and stack them and slide the top plate over
the rod on to the top of the stack of rings and tighten with a wing nut. Should be silly simple to make and work just fine.
Here's my press.

Mark Pruitt
08-30-2006, 3:55 PM
Ken, do you have pics of the finished bowls? It would be kinda neat to see a set of fore-and-aft pics.

(not trying to divert the thread, just curious and interested)

Mark