PDA

View Full Version : There's no place like home!

Tyler Howell
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
But I think I could move that place farther west.
Returned Saturday from Vancouver BC.
Picked up our Yachts in Comox on Vancouver Island and headed for Desolation Sound.
Now I'm a dyed in the wool sailor, but I got to admit the space, convenience, twin screws and accessories of a trawler are pretty nice.
First week was with nineteen friends on three trawlers around 42' LOA. 2nd week 7 of us went southeast to the Sunshine Coast of Princes Louisa Inlet and Pander (SP?).
The waterways and public areas are really clean and the folks so very nice.

Caught this sailor replacing all the WW on his craft. Even the shelter was a work of art.
Lastly, a double keeled boat for doing as you see. Working the tide tables required some effort on my part. We don't get anything like this in the great lakes or Caribbean for that matter.

Thanks Canada. This goes up there as on of the best.

Forrest Price
08-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, looks like we get to start calling you Popeye now! What a fantastic experience! Can only imagine the fun you must have had.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Sounds like fun Tyler! But.......we're glad you're back!

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Glad you had a good time. The puget sound is a great place for crusing ...............now where is your bonker :mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Don............don't be shy! Why dont' you tell us what's really on your mind?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Just don't beat around the bush about it!

Norman Hitt
08-30-2006, 1:15 AM
Hey Tyler, that had to be a great trip. I've only done the Ferry thing between Islands up there and drove around, but that had to be even better.

Incidentally, that First Pic,..Is that what one would call "Semi-Drydock"?:D

John Bailey
08-30-2006, 5:45 AM
The urge to go "stink-pot" could be the same urge to turn, eh!!

John

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2006, 9:02 AM
WElcome home Tyler..!!!! Glad you had a great time and a memorable one. Now it's time to break out that new LATHE!!!! ;) :D :D

Jim Becker
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Looks like you had some nice "relax and rest-ation"!! Welcome back...time to make some chips and sawdust (unpack that spinny thing, big guy!) and get on with other important projects... ;)

Craig Feuerzeig
08-31-2006, 8:09 AM
Awesome pics Tyler,

Thanks for posting. That restoration project gives a guy like me hope :rolleyes: . I suspect you took a few more...wouldn't mind seeing them. Also the double keel, way cool. But my favorite part was the comments about the tides:p :p :p Welcome to my world:eek: . The Indians called the Hudson River "the river that flows both ways". At times about 4 knots... My boat averages about...4 knots. That means sometimes I'm killing myself just not to get washed further away from home. Take that away and sailing might be fun:D .

Looks like a great time, welcome back.

Tyler Howell
08-31-2006, 9:15 AM
Boy Craig,
First time I was in the Pacific NW we sat in front of a light house full throttle for 2 hours:o . Hull speed was 8 knots, GPS said 1.

Some of the pools and coves we ducked into, you could only slide in or during slack tide.
Twin 150 hp diesels was great to muscle through but if we didn't time it right we would have been stuck there for 6-12 hours. Our team of 3 skippers collectively got us in and out on time safely.

Many of the areas were so deep we had to anchor stern to, with a line to shore and 200 ft of chain out. No dragging;) . Only problem was keeping the heads working:eek:

I'm thinking of coming out your way for the
Annapolis boat show next year. I here it's a gas.