PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Down the Slippery Slope

Blaine Harrison
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello Everybody. I'm new here on the Creek, but don't flame me because I came from "that other forum". :o I'm still learning my way around here, so I've got a question about the etiquette and rules.

On "that other forum", it was common practice that if a collector had a used tool or a few that he or she wanted to sell, or if somebody wanted to buy a certain type of tool, they'd just post that offering. I'm just getting a few feet onto the slippery slope, but can see that I'm going to have to add to the ammunition stock in my arsenal. I'm going to be a lot more of a buyer than a seller (if a seller at all).

What's the practice around here?

Blaine

Mike Wenzloff
08-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi Blaine,

WN allows the posts in the HT forum because it has not gotten out of hand there.

Here on SMC when I had some hand tools I was selling--back when I went on a quest for less--I posted them in the Woodworkers Classifieds.

Here there are mostly powered tools and accessories in the Classified section. And wood. One cannot be a commercial business and post there. That line is blurred as I know a few who do.

Take care, Mike

Dave Anderson NH
08-30-2006, 9:12 AM
Any personal and non-commercials sales of tools, lumber, or any other woodworking related items must be confined to the Woodworkers Classifieds forum here at Sawmill Creek. The key thing is businesses are not allowed to sell here.

Welcome to the creek Blaine. No one here gets flamed, and like the old proverb goes, "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask." Folks here are pretty friendly and realize that not everyone who comes over to the hand tool side of things is either an expert or even interested in working only with hand tools. Most of us here do both hand and power tools. Again, welcome aboard.

Jeff Horton
08-30-2006, 9:41 AM
Welcome Dave.

You will find that the WoodNet Handtools forum is a rare breed. Probably one of a kind. I have yet to find a better group of guys anywhere. Nothing against the members here! It' just I have traded with several WN guys and learned more about hand tools there than anywhere else. As you know they are not typcal of Woodnet either. ;)

Trading handtools in here is not Kosher. If you post here it will be moved to the For Sale forum. At least most days. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-30-2006, 9:58 AM
Welcome (again) Blaine. Just to add to Dave's comments, having a dedicated "Classifieds" Forum helps (!) to keep the information forums pointed toward questions, answers, tutorials, etc., rather than being filled with ads. It's really worked out well here and at another forum site I used to moderate. As to the ads in the Classifieds themselves, the preference is for things "woodworking related", but a rather liberal view is taken there for the most part. Reasonable. Yea, that's the word! Reasonable.

Lyle DeWalt
08-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Hello Everybody. I'm new here on the Creek, but don't flame me because I came from "that other forum". :o I'm still learning my way around here

Me too. I need to get "out" more often.

Tyler Howell
08-31-2006, 7:08 AM
Hi Blaine, I took the long slide about 2 years ago and it is a wonderfully bumpy ($$$$) ride:eek: .
Most important the people I met on the way.
Jump in and hang on.
River towns have been my best source of great users:confused: Don't know why.

Welcome.;)