PDA

View Full Version : Silver Poplar HF

Mark Cothren
08-29-2006, 9:39 PM
7" tall... ~6" wide... two coats of Watco cured good and rubbed out, and then one thin layer of gel poly buffed. Collar is a piece of ebonized Cherry.

Any and all comments/suggestions/opinions/etc appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Mark that is a beauty. I like it. The wood has some dazzle to it. Nice job.

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Mark, nice work...the silver poplar really works nice for vessels like this.

One of the difficult things on taller forms like this is keeping a continuous curve as you leave the upper portion of the piece and make your way down to the base. What you could do to improve this vessel (if a wee bit of wood could be put back on... ;) ) is in the area I've marked on this half-portion of your piece with the contrast raised to remove the distraction of the figure.

There is, in effect, a flat spot in that area that slightly diminishes the "sexy feel" of the form and also affects the aesthetic balance a tiny bit. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice turning. I'm just trying to show how it could be even better. One technique I learned to help in this while working with wood that is so, umm...beautiful...is to stand back a smidgen and squint while looking at the form spinning on the lathe. An appropriately contrasting background helps a bit on this while you are looking. By squinting just a little, you diffuse the details slightly and can better concentrate on the actual contour you have so far on the wood. You can then note where you need to make very slight adjustments...don't be afraid to play with it for awhile with extremely light shearing cuts until it feels just grand. (This "instant gratification" thing with turning can sometimes cause any of us to work too quickly to completion, missing opportunities that are right in front of us)

Mark Cothren
08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Jim, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that feedback. I see exactly what you're talking about - and yes, I probably got in a little bit of a hurry as I was enjoying that wild figure/color...:D

I've got a couple of pieces similar to this one waiting to finish. I'll pay closer attention on the next one and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Happy to help, Mark. One of these days I might actually get to turn again...

Keith Burns
08-30-2006, 7:39 AM
Mark, I like it. You done good. I like the collar as well. :) :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-30-2006, 8:22 AM
Mark, that is a lovely form. I can't make any critiques other than those already posted. You've done a bang-up job, IMHO.

Raymond Overman
08-30-2006, 9:01 AM
Mark,

I think it's a very nice turning. I like the collar and think that the collar and base are perfectly sized. Though there looks to be a straight area on the side, I still think this is a top notch turning. One thing that I may suggest is turning in the foot of the piece giving it a slight shadow down to the foot instead of having it cut off straight. This will make the piece look lighter and add to that "sexy feel" that Jim mentioned. The attached PS'd pic gives you an idea about what I'm talking about.

Overall it's Grade A turning to me. Excellent picture by the way. I've got to get better at photographing my work.

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2006, 9:06 AM
Wow Mark...that turned out very pretty!!!! :D
Very nice and I love that figure in the wood.

Mark Cothren
08-30-2006, 9:13 AM
One thing that I may suggest is turning in the foot of the piece giving it a slight shadow down to the foot instead of having it cut off straight. This will make the piece look lighter and add to that "sexy feel" that Jim mentioned. The attached PS'd pic gives you an idea about what I'm talking about.

Thanks Raymond. Appreciate the pic. I see what you mean about the foot and will try to keep it in mind on the next one. Thanks!

Raymond Overman
08-30-2006, 9:17 AM
Thanks Raymond. Appreciate the pic. I see what you mean about the foot and will try to keep it in mind on the next one. Thanks!

Don't thank me, thank Wally Dickerman. He's the one that drilled it into my head. :)

Travis White
08-30-2006, 9:41 AM
Very nice! I like the wrinkles in the wood.

Mark Pruitt
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Gorgeous piece Mark! I really like the rounded over collar and the proportions.
Mark

Ernie Nyvall
08-30-2006, 7:30 PM
Wonderful piece Mark. That is some very nice wood too.

Ted Calver
08-30-2006, 9:02 PM
Mark,
This is a great combination of grain pattern, form and finish. I looked at the photos before reading your description and had made up my mind that it was at least 15" high. I think it is a credit to the craftsman when a piece projects larger than life!

Barry Stratton
08-31-2006, 1:37 AM
That is impressive Mark.

The only suggestion I can offer is to send it to me so I can set it next to my "Peacock bowl". Beautiful wood and finished piece.