PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Maple Pen Box...

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 8:56 PM
Well been a while since I have made a flat box or anything in flat land since I got the lathe. I made this one to keep the pens that I turned and use at work. I wanted to match the modern lines of the desk in my office so I didn't do any round overs or other profiles. Just a rebate on the bottom that matches my desk. Gives it a nice shadow line.

The box is walnut and the lid is a curly maple (even if the photo does not show much of it) with a walnut knob. The finish is a home brew tung oil varnish. Thanks for looking as always.

Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalMapBox1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalMapBox2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalMapBox3.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalMapBox4.jpg

Dick Bringhurst
08-29-2006, 9:00 PM
Corey, That is really neat. What is the thickness of the sides and top? Dick B.

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 9:09 PM
Thank you Dick. The box is 4" x 8" and 2" high not counting knob. The box is made with 1/2 inch stock and the top is 3/8 inch stock with a rebate on the underside. knob is 3/8 inch stock.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2006, 9:10 PM
Very nice box Corey!

lou sansone
08-29-2006, 9:10 PM
nice looking box! do you also make the pens?

lou

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 9:11 PM
Thanks guys. Lou yes, I turned the pens inside as well.

corey

Dave Malen
08-29-2006, 9:15 PM
Corey,
Very elegant box. I really like the splices at the corners. Well executed.
Dave

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-29-2006, 9:18 PM
The rebate makes the box FLOAT! well done.

Bruce

Alan Tolchinsky
08-29-2006, 9:21 PM
That is such a pretty pen box. I love the contrast in woods. I guess this is more than one word.

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 9:44 PM
Yo, Corey....you have NOT lost the "flat" touch!! That's an outstanding box.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2006, 9:59 PM
Corey that is beautiful. You haven't lost the fine touch of flat work. Love the contrasting woods. Nice work.

Roy Wall
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Yo, Corey....you have NOT lost the "flat" touch!! That's an outstanding box.

Outstanding is the word Corey!!!! WOW>>>>>>>>> Nice, nice, nice!

The pens, the box, the design.......TRIFECTA!

Blaine Harrison
08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Corey,
I like the box. Simple, but attractive. Got a couple of questions, though.

On the underside of the lid, did you put any kind of recess in to make it fit the top?
On the splines, how did you cut them? Tablesaw or router?

Again, very nice.

Blaine

Bob Noles
08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Corey,

Man.... what a great box! You are after my heart on that project as I have been moving in the direction of boxes for Christmas presents this year. Haven't tried my hand at one yet, but it is just around the corner. I'm sure my first ones won't be as nice as this, but you sure have inspiired me to get in gear :)

Beautiful work my friend!

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Very nice. I like the rabbet, it gives the box a floating stance that draws attention to the box as opposed to what its sitting on. The miter splines are a great detailas well.

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey thanks fellas! I appreciate it. Blaine, the lid is made of 3/8 inch stock. I do cut a rebate on the underside to let it sit down into the box about 1/8 inch. That way the lid stays put. It has about 1/16 inch play around it's perimeter. On the mitered key's, I cut them on the table saw with a full kerf blade using a mitered key jig. Very simple to make out of a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6.

Bob, this kind of slab lid box is very easy to make but they look nice when done. The mitered keys are not difficult to make with the cheapo jig I mention above and they give added strength to the mitered corners. I use a piece of 1/8 hardboard for the bottom of this one and also another piece that is covered with the velvetine material. Bob, I would definitely recommend getting David Freedman's Box Making Basics or Doug Stowe's Complete Guide to Box Making which is kind of a collection of info from his other 2 books but any of his books are good. These books and bugging the hell out of Michael Stafford got me started. Give it a try, they make great gifts as I have made a couple myself already for Christmas. Hope this helps!

Corey

Barry Stratton
08-30-2006, 2:03 AM
Beautiful Corey!!! The contrasting woods, the splines, the floating look......well, you nailed it! Excellent. gonna try a bowl next?

Corey Hallagan
08-30-2006, 8:26 AM
Thanks Barry!! But what's a bowl?

Corey

John Buzzurro
08-30-2006, 6:46 PM
Beautiful job, Corey.

Dave Shively
08-30-2006, 7:46 PM
Looks fantsatic Corey! What is on the inside of the bottom. It looks like you put something there like felt or is it just the walnut? I can't tell from the picture.

Dave

Corey Hallagan
08-30-2006, 8:52 PM
Thanks guys. Dave, I used some burgundy velvetine material from the fabric store. I used a piece of 1/8 hard board and cut and wrapped the hardboard. Glued on the backside only with spray on adhesive. If you do the frontside the glue hardens the fabric and it looks nasty.
Thanks!
Corey