PDA

View Full Version : Did something really stupid...now need new sander!

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-29-2006, 8:06 PM
I USED to have a Milwauke close quarter drill to use for power sanding on the lathe. It was only 6 months old but the trigger had been giving me problems with intermittent stopping and starting and was real frustrating. I opened the case and cleaned everything to eleminate that as the problem and it did not help any.

Anyway, a number of weekends ago I quit dipping tobacco for good. That Friday night, I was working on a nice mesquite bowl while fighting the cravings and headache. The slightest little things were so frustrating but turning was really helping keep my mind off things! Well, it came time to sand the piece and the damn sander started acting up! It would work a little and then quit and then work, and then quit. I got fed up and to make a long story short, the drill is now in 20 or so pieces, smashed on my shop floor! Did the old swirl it around by the cord and hit the concrete trick.

Now before you go thinking I am some temper tantrum monster, that is far from the case! I am very laid back and have virtually zero temper! It was just the darn tabacco withdrawals. Anyway, I am better now and am over the nicotine addiction but now I need a new drill!!

What would you suggest for a good tool for power sanding? I am not opposed to the Milwauke again but am a little leary since mine was only 6 months old. And yes, I am against Harbor Freight power tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reed Gray
08-29-2006, 8:41 PM
There is a cheap model of this drill that is available for around $30. It is worth that amount. I wore one out in a little over a month. They are available through Ebay, and I think it is JB power tools in Riverside, CA also that carries them.
There is some business that also on occasion has rebuilt Milwaukee and Sioux (they are the same drill) drills on occasion and I think they are u-bid.com. I can get 6 months out of them before they need the bearings replaced.I prefer the angle drills to the 90 degree drills because on larger bowls they are better for getting down into the bottom of the bowl, where the handle on the 90 degree drills can get in the way (the rim of the bowl).
I have heard nice things about the Grex sanders which are random orbit, and pneumatic, but haven't used them (I think Packard has them).
There is also a pneumatic Sioux angle drill available for around $300 (I can't remember exactly). I am into a 'how much can I abuse it before it dies' test, and I get the feeling that it will last longer than the electric drills, but it does keep the compressor going non stop. I got one through Woodworker Supply, but they were discontinuing it.
robo hippy

Tony Kent
08-29-2006, 8:55 PM
Curtis,
Congrats on quitting nicotine:)
Just wanted to wish you well on that, I am clueless on the sanders.
Take care,

Forrest Price
08-29-2006, 9:27 PM
Curtis, I use one of these: Husky (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100006095)

It's worked better than any other sander I've tried. Super easy sanding. Pick up a 2" disc kit for it with the wavy edge discs and go to town!

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
The Milwaukee is made by Souix...which is what I use. One alternative is something like the Grex angled air sander. I'm considering one when I have to bury the Souix someday...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Guys.........based on Mark Singer's earlier recommendation, I bought a Grex 2" pneumatic sander a couple of months ago. It was on sale for $99 at Packards. It seems to work well. I've only had it since Father's Day, however. Also....beware, it doesn't take the 9 or 11 CFM reported at Packard......more like 2-3....I forget but the specs can be viewed at the Grex website.

Jim Bell
08-30-2006, 1:17 AM
I'd buy another Milwaukee and if it causes problems have it repaired. With the tool 6 mos old the warranty should have covered the repair. Mine is going on 4 yrs old and runs great. If it broke in the morning, by noon a Milwaukee/Souix would replace it.
Jim

Frank Fusco
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Curtis, I looked for a larger image of that picture of yourself and that little cutie. When we had a 'surprise' late in life child (daughter) I made a decision that I wanted to live long enough to see her grow up. I quit chewing tobbaco. A disgusting habit, really disgusting. Had the craving for a couple years but never did it again. Now, I almost get sick just seeing someone chewing or dipping. That drill is a cheap price to pay for the determination to break an addiction. Get a craving again, just look at the little cutie and decide if you want her to grow up fatherless, or with a father whose face is half cut away from gum cancer. Easy choice. Way to go, Pop. :) Now, go out and buy a new drill.

Mike Jory
08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Most important, congratulations on quitting your habbit. I appreciate what Frank said above.

I have not done any power sanding. What about a non-electric sander? I have a couple drills I guess I could use, after I got the right sanding head and paper. I've thought about the small passive ones with the small rotating head.

Is power the way to go? Is there a bit difference in the finish?

Reed Gray
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
As far as power, hand, or inertial sanders, depending on the skill of the person sanding, the final results will be the same. The amount of sandpaper used is about the same. The biggest difference is in time, with the power being a lot faster. With the powered sanders, you can stop the lathe and work on those trouble spots, like tearouts, and that little nib in the center that is almost impossible to remove otherwise. I dream of some day in the future when I will turn a bowl that won't need sanding, but until then, it is power sanding for me.
robo hippy

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.
Henry Ford

Ed Breen
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Curtis,
Congatulatiomns on quitting. My rebirth date was July1, 1980 @ 8:35p.m.
I now have a client who is 50ish, dipped most of his life and is waiting to replace the jaw he lost to "c" this fall with a plastic jaw. Not very pretty.
At my age now I'm enjoying my family, buit if I hadn't taken the step I'd probably be just a fuzzy memory.
Good luck!!
Ed:rolleyes:

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-30-2006, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the comment everyone, especiall the encouragement about dipping! I would gladly smash another new drill if that is what it took to help me quit!

I think I am going to look into the die grinder suggested by Forrest. Does anyone else have any experience with these? I assume they do not have reverse?

Thanks again, everyone.

Charlie Plesums
08-30-2006, 11:38 PM
I have a Home Depot die grinder that I hate... although I haven't used it for sanding. Maybe the Husky is better, but I'm not willing to give them a second chance.

Remember that heat is the enemy in sanding, and air driven die grinders love to go fast. My sanding has improved by reducing the speed, thus reducing the heat.

Robert Mickley
08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
A die grinder is going to want to turn too fast and if you cut the air back its not going ot have enough power.

Since my turning technique isn't the greatest I use a pad and my cordless drill to start out, I quit using it at 180 grit and start with a mini DA , kind of like the Grex that Ken mentioned. Nice part is its a DA so you can stop and work a problem spot without all the scratches associated with just spinning a foam pad.

I usually don't go above 220 grit and You can ask John Hart or John Timberlake what they look like ;)
They have both had their hands on some of my worst work

Forrest Price
08-31-2006, 2:07 AM
A die grinder is going to want to turn too fast and if you cut the air back its not going ot have enough power.

Sorry to disagree here...but....I've been using these for a long while. The Husky has an adjustment screw to dial back the rpm's. No problem with overheating, or lack of power at all. Seriously. Takes the pains out of sanding while on the lathe. With the 2" discs, I dial the rpm's back some, turn on the lathe and go to town. Couldn't be any easier, and the small size of the die grinder gets it inside nice and is easy to hold on to.

LOML uses it on all of her bowls as well, and would never be without it.

Remember, we're SANDING here folks, not shaping. Light touches, fine grit. Have fun.:D

John Szarek
08-31-2006, 9:16 AM
Took me multiple times before I could say I finally quit smoking 5 years ago. Tought addiction to break! hang in there, the 3's are the worst. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years is when you have quit.

BTW, you may have had a bad unit. I have a mill. and it has lasted me almost a year now. Just occationally blow it out with air to clean.

Frank Fusco
08-31-2006, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the comment everyone, especiall the encouragement about dipping! I would gladly smash another new drill if that is what it took to help me quit!

I think I am going to look into the die grinder suggested by Forrest. Does anyone else have any experience with these? I assume they do not have reverse?

Thanks again, everyone.

If you would like, I might have an old drill or two I could send for smashing. ;) Now, we need to see better pictures of that little cutie that this discussion is really all about. :)

Mark Pruitt
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Curtis,
I don't have anything to offer in the way of suggestions, as you pretty well zapped the one suggestion I would have made. I have the HF close quarter drill and like it, but if for whatever reason you choose to avoid their stuff, I will definitely respect that. I do have to be very picky in that store!;)

So, the one thing I will offer is encouragement to hang in there with kicking an unhealthy habit. It takes a lot to walk away from something like that. Best wishes to you as you fight a good fight.

Mark