PDA

View Full Version : Projects finished

Doug Jones
10-06-2003, 9:31 PM
my weekend was filled with alot of finishing. The pics are terrible, the clock and DVD rack turned out better than the pics show.

DVD Rack, pine wood/ early American stain/ Deft high gloss poly/ 47" tall 38" wide 10" deep

Tall Clock, hackberry wood/ red wood stain/ 3 coats 50-50 mix satin poly- napatha then 1 coat of gloss poly/ 77" tall, 13" wide, 10"deep

Jim Becker
10-06-2003, 9:41 PM
Outstanding work, Doug. That hackberry clock is very interesting...if you can get a clear picture of the "business end", I'd love to see the grain pattern which appears to have some action.

Doug Jones
10-06-2003, 9:49 PM
Outstanding work, Doug. That hackberry clock is very interesting...if you can get a clear picture of the "business end", I'd love to see the grain pattern which appears to have some action.
Jim, thanks for the kind words here is a close up of the top right hand corner. Also you may refer to a post that I upped earlier.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=3986&highlight=hackberry

Jim Becker
10-06-2003, 9:56 PM
Jim, thanks for the kind words here is a close up of the top right hand corner. Also you may refer to a post that I upped earlier.

Oohh...that's gorgeous! Thanks for the extra pic!!

Todd Burch
10-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Yo Doug!!! Great job! Thanks for posting. I've always wanted to make a tall clock... maybe I'll get to it one day like you did.

Todd.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2003, 10:11 PM
That's nice work Doug. The Clock has beautiful wood........the grain is outstanding. I see you are a die cast collector too, I have a TON of NASCAR Die Cast, I need to leave that darn Lathe alone and build a nice collectible cabinet. ;) But the Lathe gets soooooooo lonely if I don't play with it all the time. (Terry Quiram has that lathe spoiled rotten!) :D Thanks for sharing the photo's with us............the clock and cabinet turned out very well. Can't wait to see more......... :)

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 10:22 PM
my weekend was filled with alot of finishing. The pics are terrible, the clock and DVD rack turned out better than the pics show.

DVD Rack, pine wood/ early American stain/ Deft high gloss poly/ 47" tall 38" wide 10" deep

Tall Clock, hackberry wood/ red wood stain/ 3 coats 50-50 mix satin poly- napatha then 1 coat of gloss poly/ 77" tall, 13" wide, 10"deep

Doug,

You definitely do nice work. I really like the clock. 2 Q's, (1) where did you find the plans and (2) where would one find Hackwood? Don't really have room for more wood but willing to find some. (May have to rent space in a neighbors garage. :D )

Joe

Bob Lasley
10-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Nice job Doug! I like the glass doors on the cabinet and I have to agree with the others, that hackberry is some nice stuff!

Keep up the good work,
Bob

Doug Jones
10-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words. I agree that hackberry is some real good looking wood, especially after some stain is applied. The "golden pecan" stain had some real good results also.

Kevin, Yeah I use to collect, then I got into woodworking. So all the money spent on die-cast soon went to wood tools. I have in the neighborhood of 500 die-cast ranging in the 1/18th scale down to the mico machine size. Soon will liquidate them to get more tools (lathe).

Joe,, Todd, Here is alink to the plans at "The Winfield Collection"
http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/itemdisp.cfm?id=GF1&category=in%5Fcategory&selection=FURNITURE
As far as where you can get hackberry at, I'm not sure. I have a friend that had some extra that he sold to me for .50/ bf

Bob, the cabinet was built in less than a week. I have had some movies get up and walk away so I needed a way to keep that from happening. As it turned out the glass doors were the most expensive part of this cabinet. But with pine wood this is to be expected.

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-07-2003, 7:28 AM
Nice work. I really like the clock case...