PDA

View Full Version : Calculated force

Rick Smith
08-29-2006, 6:51 PM
A question for those of you (which should include just about everyone) smarter than me:

What (or how do you figure) is the difference in power transmission on the outside edge of a piece of wood spinning on a drive center vs. just the drive center itself/

i.e. - If I could measure the power generated by a 1200 rpm spinning drive center, then mounted a 9" diameter x 1" thick piece of oak on it... what would be the difference in the force generated at the outside edge of the drive center vs. the same generated on the outside edge of the wood? Is the outside edge of the oak turning at the same speed as the drive center?

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 7:04 PM
A question for those of you (which should include just about everyone) smarter than me:

What (or how do you figure) is the difference in power transmission on the outside edge of a piece of wood spinning on a drive center vs. just the drive center itself/

i.e. - If I could measure the power generated by a 1200 rpm spinning drive center, then mounted a 9" diameter x 1" thick piece of oak on it... what would be the difference in the force generated at the outside edge of the drive center vs. the same generated on the outside edge of the wood? Is the outside edge of the oak turning at the same speed as the drive center?

Physics 101

OK let me try to answer you questions with an example.
If you have a 1 HP motor that runs at 1750 it will generate 36 in.lb. of force at the potor shaft. Now lets say that your pulleys are set so that the spindle turns at 1/3 of this speed or a 3:1 reduction ration. The spindle will turn at 583 RPM and the torque at the spindle will be 3 times that at the motor shaft or 108 IN.Lb.. Now if you are 3" away from center the for exerted will be 36 pounds for and at 9" away from center torque will be 12 pounds of force.

The speed at 3" away from the center would be 1749 inches per minute or around 20 mph and the speed at 9" from the center would be 5247 inches per minute or around 60 MPH.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I do have a degree in Physics..:D

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 7:17 PM
Oh and in case your wondering where I came up with the torque number.

HP=Torque x RPM /63025 or Torque = HP x 63025 / RPM

Rick Smith
08-29-2006, 8:23 PM
are much appreciated. My college days were served in USMC mud, and I usually stayed at Motel 6. Thanks for the quick answer!

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 9:46 PM
No problem Rick,
My love for physics was started by Adm Rickhovers and the Neucler Navy followed by getting my degree when I got out. I quickly discovered that a degree in physics was nice but there weren't very many jobs for physicists...:D