PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Holly

Ted Calver
08-29-2006, 6:35 PM
Some very interesting spalting here. It was supposed to be a user for the kitchen because the blank had a really bad case of blue stain and had started to spalt. I made it thick and clunky so it would take a lot of abuse and slapped a couple of coats of Mahoney's Walnut oil on it and set it aside. When I came back to it a couple of weeks later, I was amazed at the colors. Some of the light colored parts near the rim are actually translucent at nearly half an inch thick! Then I screwed up and put a coat of Watco on it, forgetting about the walnut oil. The two finishes did not play well together and the Watco stayed sticky. After trying to take it off with MS there are still a couple of sticky spots. The next step, when I get around to it, will be to re-chuck it and take off an eighth of an inch or so all the way around to see how deep the sticky goes. Until then, it looks good on the display shelf/ Thanks for looking.

Ernie Nyvall
08-29-2006, 9:17 PM
That wood is wild. Nice job Ted.

Dale Overman
08-29-2006, 9:21 PM
Wow!!!! I thought holly was a very white wood. Loads of color here. Looks great

Mark Cothren
08-29-2006, 9:26 PM
That is one wild piece of Holly, Ted! All kinds of color in there - spectacular!

Mark Pruitt
08-29-2006, 9:45 PM
Ted,
As with the others you've been showing, that is a beautiful piece. Lots going on there.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Ted that piece is a beauty. Boy does that have some wild colors to it. Nice job.

Travis Stinson
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Some wonderful coloring in that spalting! Looks great.

Jim King
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
That is to beautiful and unusual to loose. Put the rest in the freezer or vacum pack.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-30-2006, 8:00 AM
Ted, that is an amazing hunk of wood, and you've really brought out the beauty in it with that bowl.

Jim Becker
08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Very interesting, Ted. I would have never taken that for holly without your description. This is a great piece!