PDA

View Full Version : Shadowbox from laser

Shaddy Dedmore
08-29-2006, 5:30 PM
Here's a shadowbox I made. The fingers might need tweaking, but I think I'll just use my pin nailer and glue and leave it alone.

download the version 9 corel file here. (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/ShadowBoxVer9.cdr)

(By the way, if i can brag a bit, it fit together correctly on my first try, I was worried that I got some fingers wrong because it can be a little confusing)

I can describe how I made it in corel in more detail if you are interested. Mainly I used rectangles and I subtracted squares to make the tab. I could have just as easily made the squares/fingers on the outside and then used weld. Use snap and duplicate a LOT.

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ShadowBox.jpg

Shaddy

Frank Corker
08-29-2006, 5:39 PM
Nicely done, it looks really good, I know what you meant about confusing around the corners

Dave Jones
08-29-2006, 6:14 PM
I made a small box using a similar technique, but instead of 50%/50% tabs and slots I put tabs/slots in 25%/75% proportions (ie: cut 1/8" slot every 1/2"). This made it easier to get the corners working without some of them getting too fragile.

Visually it comes out a bit different since when you look at a seam from one direction it has 1/4 light and 3/4 dark, while from the other direction it is 1/4 dark and 3/4 light.

Unfortunately I gave it away before taking a photo.

Ed Lang
08-30-2006, 7:40 AM
That looks great!

Does it feel heavy with .25" material?

Would .125" material for the back be too thin in your opinion?

Shaddy Dedmore
08-30-2006, 9:41 AM
You could try it out easy enough by keeping the back tabs the same length, and shortening up all the tabs of the edges that go into the bottom. Draw a big rectangle across the tabs, then subtract (back minus front).

Or, set the nudge to .125 then using the node tool to select all the nodes of the outside of the tab, then hit the appropriate arrow key.

Off the top of my head I think that would work fine. The micro pin nailer (I have an air compressor so my nailer is pneumatic) works well. use a little glue, then nail and you don't have to clamp.

Shaddy

Ed Lang
08-30-2006, 9:46 AM
If I get time today, I will try it and let you know how it does.

Thanks also for the two ways to move the fingers so it will work.

I am still so green with Corel I have a hard time doing anything but drawing a circle!