PDA

View Full Version : New members shop in process

Dwayne Hunt
08-29-2006, 4:30 PM
Hi All

I am posting some of the pictures of my new basement shop in process. 6 months ago the kitchen remodel was far enough along that I moved my shop from the kitchen where my wife and I where building cabinets to two rooms in the basement (middle furance room 13' by 20', now my machine room and the larger old washroom 15' by 13', now my bench room). The wife wanted to start using the kitchen even though we were not done. I have been working to get my shop in order so I could finish up the kitchen and move on to the next project (wife has a endless list of these). I stopped working on the kitchen to get my shop somewhat settled. Could not work very well without everything having a home. Spent more time picking up or looking for something than working. Below are a few pictures of my shop:

The picture above shows a view looking northwest in my machine room. In the picture you are looking over my sander at the 6" jointer and my wall of clamps. You can just see the corner of the talbesaw/router table.

The south view looks across the tablesaw/router table you can also see the drill press.

This picture shows half the cabinets on the north wall I built for my main storage area (at this time they are not complete).

Pictures shows other half of my storage cabinets the larger upper without the doors yet will be for all my wood working hand tools. the wall is 15' long

West view of the bench room shows my small sheet storage with some of my Festools tools on the wall and the rest under my MFT table.

On another post I will finish my shop in progess tour. Need to go make some chips now.

If anything can go wrong, Fix It! (To hell with Murphy!)
from Peters Laws

William Lewis
08-29-2006, 4:37 PM
Thanks for the tour. Nice shop, way too clean, LOL Wade on in the water is great.
William Lewis

Dan Oliphant
08-29-2006, 6:04 PM
Looks like Festool has a convert, shop looks great.

Frank Pellow
08-29-2006, 7:29 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Dwayne. It certainly does look like you are making good progress on the shop. It looks to be at least as finished as my shop and I long ago declared that my shop building was "complete". :) Of course, I don't know exactly what "complete" means. :confused:

Ron Fritz
08-29-2006, 8:33 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dwayne. Great looking shop, also way too clean! Your cabinets are really impressive. Nice job. Ron.

Michael Em
08-29-2006, 8:41 PM
Hello. I like your work area. Cozy but it looks organized.

I have a question though.

I am a total newbie to woodworking and wondering something. In one of your photos, it shows the hotwater heater in the background and it is unprotected it would seem.

If a piece of wood goes flying (as such members have attested to) what if it nails the hot water heater?

I ask because I too am getting my garage ready to put together my little shop in there and the first thing I thought of was my exposed hot water heater. Am I worrying about nothing here?

Thanks,
Michael

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 8:44 PM
Nice looking shop Michael. Wish I had that much room!

corey

Matt Warfield
08-29-2006, 8:46 PM
In short, yeah, you're worrying about nothing. The outer skin of the water heater is thick enough to withstand most impacts - including a direct beating with a hammer. If something were to make it through it, it would still take quite a bit of energy to damage the tank inside the skin and insulation.

The area I would be concerned about is exposed water pipes getting smacked by a swinging board or sheet of plywood.

Matt

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 9:43 PM
By golly...I think you have Chris Padilla's curtains!! LOL!! :D (He took a nice ribbing on them during his shop renovation)

Seriously, thanks for the tour. You have a very nice shop to work in.

Frank Pellow
08-29-2006, 10:03 PM
By golly...I think you have Chris Padilla's curtains!! LOL!! :D (He took a nice ribbing on them during his shop renovation)

Seriously, thanks for the tour. You have a very nice shop to work in.
Well spotted Jim. I was too busy looking at the great organization of Dwayne's shop to notice the curtains. They are very pretty Dwayne. :D

Dwayne Hunt
08-30-2006, 6:23 AM
You guys got me on the curtians

They are left over from when my wife used the basement rooms. With all the remolding being done she has not finished my new ones.:)

Mike Cutler
08-30-2006, 7:42 AM
Nice shop Dwayne. it looks well organized and neat. You got a lot of space there it appears.

If those are your shop cabinets the one's in the kitchen must really be something to see.

Charles Wilson
08-30-2006, 8:09 AM
I have a couple of questions. First some background.

I have two places for a proposed shop - outdoor garage and basement. The garage is a significantly larger place to work but probably could only be used three seasons. Basement will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer but have a smaller space.

Question #1 - I believe that your furnace should have some kind on intake to assist in circulation of air/combustion. Some newer high efficiency furnaces vent to the outside of the house and draw air in from the outside. Where is your furnace's intake? If if is on the inside, what is the likelihood of dust being sucked up and circulated through your house. This has been a personal concern of mine.

Question #2 - If there is an open flame in the basement (pilot on water heater and burner on your furnace) what kind of risk is there at something like spontaneous combustion of airborne dust (kind of like dust in a farm silo)?

Question #3 - How do you like your Ridgid tools?

Question #4 - Where did you get the material for your curtains? :)

Regards,
Chuck

Tyler Howell
08-30-2006, 9:19 AM
Big D.

Real nice set up.:cool: Welcome

If I may assist Charles on the furnace issue, as 30 year veteran of basement shops.
No matter where the air comes from for your furnace and Hot W. H. Dust will migrate into everything.
A good DC and routine cleaning of your systems is in order.
My only concern for shop air quality is with some solvants and contact cement in which case I work elsewhere or follow the manufacturers instructions;)

PS Those curtains are a real nice match with the floor. Where's your fashion sense

Dwayne Hunt
08-30-2006, 5:43 PM
Guys

I will finish up my tour of the shop.

I thought this site was about woodworking and shops not fashion.:D But on with the tour:

Picture below shows my around bench working odd jobs what ever. I have it a little higher than normal so I can work standing up at it. I store the balance onf my hand power tools under this bench as well.

This is a picture of my wood storage rack. With a dust coolector on top. I have one in each room an use dust collection on all machines when in use.

Shop is on the smaller side but I keep trying to come up with ideas to make the most of the space I have.

Dwayne Hunt
08-30-2006, 6:27 PM
Hi Charles

I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

1. My furnance gets its air for combustion from inside the house. I always use dust collection at what ever machine I am working at. Plus I have 2 over head dust collectors (one in each room) that run when anything I do makes dust. For sanding I use Festool sanders and they catch most of the dust. I clean up each night. The furance filter is replaced every month (small micron filter). The dust does not seem that bad to me (Wife think so as well).

2. I would be most worried by small dust from sanding and fumes from chemicals. My hot water heater is elec.

3. I like my Rigid tools! They have been working very good for me.

4. Cannot help you with the curtian mat'l wife not sure where it came from: )

Gary Keedwell
08-30-2006, 6:55 PM
Really nice digs. Did I see 2 Festool cordless drills? Are they the same Model? I swallowed real hard hand purchased the 15.6 a few weeks ago. Now that I got my feet wet.....looking at sanders. lol

Gary K

Dwayne Hunt
08-30-2006, 7:56 PM
Hi Gary

Yes you see 2 CDD 12 FX Festool drills. I really like them and use both of them all the time. I started with one and when the model was closed out I could not pass up getting a second one.

I also have 3 Festool sanders RO 150 E, ETS 150 EQ and DS 400 EQ-Plus. I hook all of them up to The Festool CT 33E vac have VERY little dust from them. I am lucky I guess my wife likes them as much as me and does not mine me getting them.

I cannot say they will be right for you but I am very happy with mine.

lou sansone
08-30-2006, 9:40 PM
very nice shop tour and it looks quite well designed

lou