PDA

View Full Version : cool blocks for my Grizzly

Lloyd Frisbee
08-29-2006, 4:18 PM
Awhile back I got a Grizzly G0555 band saw. It came stock with roller guides and I want to convert to cool blocks. I am a spinny kinda guy and often cut wet logs. Where can I get a kit with the holders for the cool blocks that will bolt right on to my Grizzly?

Lloyd in San Jose,CA

Ken Deckelman
08-29-2006, 4:23 PM
You can, although I do not know the part #'s or the model # of the saw they came from. It has been listed here before, if you search you may find the post.

I bought my G0555 at the Grizzly store, and ordered the parts right there. If memory serves me correctly, the parts were under $20.00 or so and came from the model just under the G0555

I just searched "G0555 Blocks" and came up with this thread amoung many others:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36340&highlight=G0555+blocks

Frank Fusco
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I also have a G0555 with the rollers that came with it. So far, I'm pretty happy with them. (exception, I can't adjust for a 1/8" blade). But, that said, this is the first real bandsaw I have ever owned and don't know any different, or better. What is the advantage of blocks over rollers?

Aaron Beaver
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Cool Blocks better? When I bought my 14" saw I was looking at two different one and got the one with rollers, where told they were better than the blocks. Are there differnt kinds of blocks that might not be as good.

Art Davis
08-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Lloyd,

Send a PM or e-mail to Tom Berninghausen, the guy who started the thread that Ken gave you. He can give you the part numbers for the Gorilla mounting kit that fits the G0555. I put them in. It requires just a bit of filing of the new mount so that it fits the G0555 holder, but not too much and the job goes quickly. I've been happy with it. You can then order ceramic blocks from one of the mailorder houses.

If Tom can't help you with the part numbers, let me know and I will look up all the particulars for you.

Good luck.

Art

P.S. I retired and moved to Oregon from S. J. three years ago. Where in San Jose are you?

Randy Davidson
08-31-2006, 6:28 AM
I just installed mine on my Grizzly about 2 weeks ago. Just call customer service at Grizzly and tell the gal you want a cool block upgrade kit for your saw. They took my info and had it in my hands in two days.

Randy

Frank Fusco
08-31-2006, 9:39 AM
Repeat: Why?

Byron Trantham
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Repeat: Why?

He mentioned that he wants to cut "wet" logs. I presume he is worried about steel rollers rusting. If not, then I agree - why?

Frank Fusco
09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
He mentioned that he wants to cut "wet" logs. I presume he is worried about steel rollers rusting. If not, then I agree - why?

Yeppers, Byron, still wondering. Why?