PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2003, 8:09 PM
Well, the jury is in on the Box Elder that I cut down Saturday at my Folks place. There is some of the Red Streaking throughout some of the wood, and it should make for some interesting turning. I have a pretty good bunch of Turning Wood from this tree. The beautiful streaking seemed to be more prevelant from the base of the tree on up. This tree has been standing dead for about 2 years, but the largest trunk sections are very solid with no "punkiness". The wood seems to be fairly dry, and I was wondering if I can turn some of it now, or should I wait a while? Even standing dead trees can be rather moist, due to the wicking action of the moisture in the soil. So, what do the seasoned turners say, turn or wait a few months? I have all the slabs end grain sealed and I currently have it in the garage. I will shoot a few pictures tomorrow after work and post them. It sure is pretty wood, and this will be my first shot at Box Elder. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice. ;)

Jim Becker
10-06-2003, 9:38 PM
Once you turn "green", you'll want to always turn "green"...try a hunk out, Kevin, and see what comes off the lathe! By example, my friend Phil Brennion is sporting the results of some nice box elder turned green by the ugly guy in the face mask... :D That was a fun turning session!!

Glenn Hodges
10-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Well, the jury is in on the Box Elder that I cut down Saturday at my Folks place. There is some of the Red Streaking throughout some of the wood, and it should make for some interesting turning. I have a pretty good bunch of Turning Wood from this tree. The beautiful streaking seemed to be more prevelant from the base of the tree on up. This tree has been standing dead for about 2 years, but the largest trunk sections are very solid with no "punkiness". The wood seems to be fairly dry, and I was wondering if I can turn some of it now, or should I wait a while? Even standing dead trees can be rather moist, due to the wicking action of the moisture in the soil. So, what do the seasoned turners say, turn or wait a few months? I have all the slabs end grain sealed and I currently have it in the garage. I will shoot a few pictures tomorrow after work and post them. It sure is pretty wood, and this will be my first shot at Box Elder. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice. ;)

Shoot Kevin, I'd jump right in and start turning yesterday. Leave the bowls thick, coat them with anchor seal, put them away to dry. When they are dry, finish turning them. I turn green wood when I can.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2003, 10:19 PM
That sounds like a good idea...........I have turned some green wood, and it really is enjoyable to turn. You gotta love those long ribbons coming off the tool! After coating the entire bowl with anchor seal, is there a rule of thumb as to when they are dry enough to finish without having a lot of movement? Even the Elm that I have that was standing dead for over a year moves a little when it dries. The spalted Elm bowl I posted a pic of a while back has ovaled a little, but not real bad. Is a moisture meter a good way to check the moisture in sealed, rough turned bowls? If so, what type of moisture reading would I want to see before the final turning? There is so much to learn to this turning, but it is an enjoyable ride! :)

Glenn Hodges
10-07-2003, 7:05 AM
That sounds like a good idea...........I have turned some green wood, and it really is enjoyable to turn. You gotta love those long ribbons coming off the tool! After coating the entire bowl with anchor seal, is there a rule of thumb as to when they are dry enough to finish without having a lot of movement? Even the Elm that I have that was standing dead for over a year moves a little when it dries. The spalted Elm bowl I posted a pic of a while back has ovaled a little, but not real bad. Is a moisture meter a good way to check the moisture in sealed, rough turned bowls? If so, what type of moisture reading would I want to see before the final turning? There is so much to learn to this turning, but it is an enjoyable ride! :)

Kevin, I read somewhere that wood dries 1 inch per year, don't know if that is true or not, and I know one thing it depends on the species and a lot of other variables like where it is stored and in what kind of humidity. I do not own a moisture meter. I use a real scientific method--I just simply leave it alone for about 3 t 6 months, and sometimes longer. Some guys weigh it and when it quits loosing weight they return it, but I turn so many, I don't have time for it. Pretty soon you will have a storeroom of roughout bowls that you can pick from. I had much rather have that movement on a rough turned piece than a new finished bowl I made for a friend or customer. It also depends on where you live as to letting you get to the wood before the bugs and rot. When I am in a hurry I will go to the microwave on a small bowl. You are welcome to email me if I can ever help.