PDA

View Full Version : Better & Best Bandsaw Blades

Bryan Nuss
10-06-2003, 7:19 PM
I've just bought an 11" bandsaw for my Shopsmith. It is used, but in very good condition, with all the latest upgrades. It also came with a couple used blades.

I would like to know what you consider to be the "better" and "best" brand blades to buy. I will be mainly cutting out patterns for Andirondack chairs (I have "orders" from the family for at least 6) out of 3/4" pine, with some oak resawing for a Meccano storage chest. This will be after I make Norm's router table. This will be after I lay a hardwood floor in the kitchen.

I've got a busy winter coming up after I move back home! Good thing I'm semi-retiring ... I may have to retire full time!

Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2003, 7:24 PM
Bryan,

Lenox and Timberwolf are the top two contenders for BS blades. I like the Lenox blades and from my limited exposure and use of the TW blades, I like them as well as I like the Lenox blades. IMO, all other blades available to the hobbiest doesn't even rate in my book.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2003, 7:56 PM
Bryan, I agree with Dennis. I like the Lenox Blades and the Timberwolf. I have also used the Wood Slicer Blades from Highland Hardware, and they are also an excellent blade for Resawing. As far as the best, it is hard to tell between the Timberwolf and Wood Slicer, they both cut excellent. The Wood Slicer seems to be better on my Bandsaw as far as tracking, for whatever reason, but you can't go wrong with either. Good Luck, and it sounds like you do have your work "cut out" for you! :D

Jim Becker
10-06-2003, 9:46 PM
I haven't used the Lennox blades, but I'm an avowed Timberwolf addict. These may actually be better for you as they are a low-tension design which will be nice for your 11" saw. The best place to buy them is directly from the manufacturer, Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) . You'll pay only a little more than half the retail packaged price for blades made from the same blade stock by others.

Bob Lasley
10-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Bryan,

I'm sold on Timberwolf as well and as Jim said, Suffolk is the place to get 'em. Good pricing, great service and nice, helpful people.

Bob

Bryan Nuss
10-07-2003, 6:06 AM
Thanks very much for the advice on the blades. I'll try out a couple of the Timberwolfs (Timberwolves?).

Jim Becker
10-07-2003, 8:43 AM
Thanks very much for the advice on the blades. I'll try out a couple of the Timberwolfs (Timberwolves?).

Bryan, when you do get back "home" up north, Lee Valley is selling essentially the same blade under the Viking name. Your cost should be similar and you will not have to deal with the cross-border thing.

Byron Trantham
10-07-2003, 9:30 AM
Bryab, I use Timber Wolf blades and the only other reference I have is the stock blade that came with my BS. No comparison. As an aside, I highly recommend that you visit the Suffolk web site. They have all kinds of useful information for Band Saws.

Jim Becker posted the link for you.

Lee Schierer
10-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Another goodblade is the Tufftooth Blade. It is made in Canada and there is a shop in Toronto. They can be ordered from tehir web site at Tufftooth (http://www.tufftooth.com/)

Their blades have worked well for me thus far. Good cuts and straight tracking. They are low tension blades as well. They also sell a really nice aluminum fence system for your bandsaw.

Jim Andrew
12-07-2004, 12:18 AM
This is my first post, but here goes. Wondered if anyone has managed
to use any woodmizer blades. Looked at their site and you have to buy
10 or 15, they are only offered in sizes to fit the sawmills, will they cut
them down to fit other machines? I had some wood sawn by a neighbor
who has a woodmizer, it really sailed through my logs, and without using
up all my wood for sawdust. Looked at his blades, they are 1" wide,and
look like they would be great resaw blades.

Jim Becker
12-07-2004, 8:48 AM
Jim, welcome aboard!

The Woodmizer blades, while certainly good products, will likely be too thick for most of the bandsaws in folks hobby woodworking shops...size does matter...and you need a fairly large machine to reliably run wide, thick blade stock. They are also designed for cutting wet wood, not dry wood. (As are the Timberwolf AS blades) If you do have a large (20-24") bandsaw, they might be worth trying. But if you have that kind of saw, a 1" carbide tipped Lennox TriMaster might be a better buy since it will last years rather than days or weeks and the cut quality is fantastic.

Jim Andrew
12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
What I forgot to mention in my last post is that woodmizer RESHARPENS
their blades. And they are very inexpensive compared to other blades.
The downside is you have to buy 10 or 15 blades.

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 12:48 AM
I have used the Timberwolf for years. The Lenox Trimaster is the best I have found but it is $$$

John Gregory
12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm

What about this source for blades? Has anyone purchased from them? On their pricing page it says:
PROFESSIONAL LENOX BRAND
BANDSAW BLADES

Larry D. Wagner
12-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Bryan

I don't know if you have a sharpening center in your area, but the one in my area makes mine and the brand he sells is "Sterling". His prices are very competetive and so far these blades cut better than any I have tried.

Just a thought

Larry D. Wagner :) :) :)

James Carmichael
12-08-2004, 3:26 PM
Just another 2-pennies worth:

I tried the Starrett blades from BC Saw & Tool written up in the recent FWW and they've been excellent. A plus for you is that they're on your side of the border in Toronto.

http://www.bcsaw.com/

You may see Starrett blades elsewhere, but they're welded by the distributor, which has a lot to do with quality. BC has a reputation for smooth welds and balanced blades.

Dave Carey
12-09-2004, 1:15 PM
Just ordered some blades from Suffolk. Currently have a buy three get one free deal. Talked to Art at 800-234-7297 who was very helpful. Should have the blades by Monday. If the blades are as good as the service there won't be anything to complain about!