PDA

View Full Version : Question about White Oak

Lincoln Myers
08-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I am getting close to "finish time" on my sons' bunk bed project. I have noticed some strange markings on some of the ripped boards.

Any ideas what this is? Is it from the machining process, or some characteristic of the wood itself?

I am referring to the light marks running the thickness of the board, not the black burning from my saw, which I get on some, but not all my cuts.

Thanks a lot for any insight.

-Linc

tod evans
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
that`s burn marks....02 tod

edit; sorry lincoln, i didn`t read your entire post before piping up.....i agree those are rays, or flecks, or whatever reagonal term is used to discribe oaks cell structure....tod

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Yup burn marks. I just milled up 70 db.ft. and found that a sharp blade and a steady feet rate work best...DAMHIKT.

Brent Grooms
08-29-2006, 11:54 AM
If the marks are of a "purpleish" nature, I would bet that is a reaction to the tannic acid in the wood. When ever I work with oak, my hands and sometimes the wood will look like I dipped the palms of my hands in ink. No worries tho, it sands right off and wears off on the hands.

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Think of it as sugar that got a little too hot. In this case, via friction as the blade did its work.

Richard Ferment
08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
;) The light marks on the sides of the boards are the ray flecks white oak is known for. I am assuming the oak is flat sawn. That is why the flecks ade on the sides and not on the face as it would be if it was Quarter sawn.Nothing to worry about. Finnish as you like.:)

Ian Gillis
08-29-2006, 12:07 PM
I am referring to the light marks running the thickness of the board, not the black burning from my saw, which I get on some, but not all my cuts.

Thanks a lot for any insight.

-Linc
Those are the medullary rays. This is one of the desirable characteristics of English oak and American white oak. It's also called flame figure and it's visible on any quartersawn board. The edge of a flatsawn board like you have there will show it in varying degrees depending on where it was in relation to the center of the tree.

Cheers

IG

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Yep, rays.

Gary Keedwell
08-29-2006, 1:23 PM
Since I work white oak 90% of my shop time, I can tell you that the boys are absolutely right....rays.

Gary K.

Bruce Page
08-29-2006, 1:40 PM
Medullary rays, typical of quarter sawn white oak.

Lincoln Myers
08-29-2006, 2:46 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses. Learned something (again) from Saw Mill Creek.