PDA

View Full Version : Question about DC remotes

Guy Germaine
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
I just got the Shop Fox remote for my dust collector. I plugged it in and it worked great. However, after sitting there idle, for a half hour or so, I tried the remote again and the DC would not start. I have to unplug the controller and plug it in again (like resetting it) before it will work again. Anyone everrun across this before?

Julio Navarro
08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
I had a similar problem with a Longranger III from PSI. But the problemn was with the motor, it kept tripping the amp protection of the remote. I by passed the remote and the breaker at the box kept triping. I replaced the motor with a reliable one and it has been working like a charm ever since.

Guy Germaine
08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
This one isn't tripping the breaker.

Julio Navarro
08-29-2006, 11:46 AM
is it possible the motor amperage is more than the remote can handle but not beyond the breaker's rating? This would trip the remote but not the panel breaker.

Guy Germaine
08-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Neither breaker is tripping. It just seems to not work after sitting there for a while.

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 1:02 PM
If the remote is rated for the amperage on your DC, I'd return it. I just have a 1HP Delta DC and my cheap-o Woodcraft branded remote ($25 on sale) has worked great for the last year or so (even from the kitchen while getting coffee if I'm not careful).

Hugh Jaskok
08-29-2006, 1:12 PM
I gots me a Jet 1100 DC. I bought one of those $15 Christmas tree light remotes about a year and a half ago and it's still going strong.:)

Blaine Harrison
08-29-2006, 1:20 PM
I've found that my remote won't work when it's sitting on a metal surface (such as my TS). When I pick it up, it works fine. I keep it in a pocket of my apron and it works well.

Blaine

Guy Germaine
08-29-2006, 2:31 PM
That's not it either! I can stand right next to the control box and it won't work. Once I unplug it and plug it back in again, it works from across the shop. :confused:

Steve Clardy
08-29-2006, 2:45 PM
Have you called Shop Fox

Guy Germaine
08-29-2006, 4:47 PM
I sent an email to Grizzly CS and got a reply that they would have somoene contact me. I've been told that the contacts may be loose where the DC cord plugs in. I'm headed out there now to look at it.

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I can't even keep up with TV remote, so I put a current sensor in my panel. When tools come on, so does DC. When tool powers down, DC runs for additional 10 seconds to clear pipes. Total cost about $100. It is based on article in FWW, Aug 2000. Sensor can handle about 6 wires through coil. By using multiwire branch circuits, I can get both a 220 circuit and a 110 circuit on one wire. Now if someone could just tell me where my glue bottle is!:cool: