PDA

View Full Version : Two more little mesquite tables

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-29-2006, 9:37 AM
A former customer wanted two small side tables for the end of the couch, in the same style as the coffee table I built for them a few years ago. He asked for an oval top 10" x 20", but I convinced him to go to 12" wide...simply so the lower shelf could have more width. They insisted on the lower shelf to match the coffee table. Finished size is 10 x 20 x 20 high. What I learned here is that there's just as much work involved in 'miniatures' as there is in bigger pieces...and maybe more...which just makes it harder to price things. My initial quote was high enough that they asked if I could do a little better on the price, probably based on what I charged them for the coffee table. Since it was a former customer, I wanted to do the job for him...so I backed off a bit and we made the deal. Now that they're finished, I'm backing off some more simply because the price just seems too high. Now, it's not too high...but it seems too high when you look at the tables. ;) These are the times I'm glad I have a real job. :o

BTW, that's out bigboy Saint in the picture, doing what he does second best...laying around. :D

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/reidtbl2.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/reidcoffee.jpg

Lori Kleinberg
08-29-2006, 9:51 AM
Very nice work. The wood is beautiful and the table dimensions look good. Overall, very nicely done.

Bob Marino
08-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Kirk,

Very nice - as always. What is your finish?

Bob

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Excellent as usual. And it appears that Beethoven's cousin approves, too... :) (Last weekend's family movie)

Martin Lutz
08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Great work, I love the Mesquite.

Dan Oliphant
08-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Sure like what you do with mesquite, well done.

Art Mulder
08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
What I learned here is that there's just as much work involved in 'miniatures' as there is in bigger pieces...and maybe more...which just makes it harder to price things. My initial quote was high enough that they asked if I could do a little better on the price, probably based on what I charged them for the coffee table. Since it was a former customer, I wanted to do the job for him...so I backed off a bit and we made the deal. Now that they're finished, I'm backing off some more simply because the price just seems too high. Now, it's not too high...but it seems too high when you look at the tables.

Kirk,

Don't under-charge!

Have you been in a furniture store lately? Ever notice how love seats and sofas are priced? Around here I see sofas for anywhere from $900-$1500, depending on quality and so on. And the matching loveseat is usually only $50-$100 less. But why? It is only 2/3 the size!? Yeah, but it is pretty much exactly the same amount of work.

Same with these tables... sure the wood is smaller, but you've got the same number of joints, and the same kind of joints, and the joinery is a huge part of the work. Finishing may be a bit less work on a smaller table, but not that much. The large flat spaces are the easy part of finishing. And your little table looks to have just as many nooks and crannies as the big one.

my thoughts.
...art

Ben Roman
08-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Awesome work KC What is the finish

Ben

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 2:23 PM
Those will complete a great looking set. Nice work!

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-29-2006, 4:44 PM
Finish is WATCO natural, topped with Sherwin Williams pre-cat lacquer (dull).

Thanks for the comments... :)

Chris Padilla
08-29-2006, 5:04 PM
Same with these tables... sure the wood is smaller, but you've got the same number of joints, and the same kind of joints, and the joinery is a huge part of the work. Finishing may be a bit less work on a smaller table, but not that much. The large flat spaces are the easy part of finishing. And your little table looks to have just as many nooks and crannies as the big one.

my thoughts.
...art

Art, I agree with the work involved being pretty much the same but when mequite is going for 9-$15/bf, the lesser amount of an expensive wood should get the price down a decent amount.

KC, yet more splendid work with mesquite...one day I've got to bite the bullet and get me some and make me something! I've got a board or two laying around somewhere....