PDA

View Full Version : Gloat.......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-29-2006, 8:43 AM
I was at the DIY place, they were having a sale......:eek:

I picked up this cordless drill, National Panasonic 12V, 30 min charger, two batteries, clutch, two speed, regular $180, on sale for................ $80!! :eek::eek: :D

Yep, one followed me home! :D

45803 45804

Life is good! :)

Christian Aufreiter
08-29-2006, 8:52 AM
Yep, one followed me home! :D

Only one? What's wrong here, Stu?!:rolleyes:
Congrats ...:)

Christian

08-29-2006, 9:01 AM
Hey Christian, how you doing, long time no see!

Yeah, only one, I'm thinking I should have bought another one.... :rolleyes:

With two, I'd be set.

My POS Bosch greenie is dying, one battery is dead, dead, dead, the other lasts about 15 minutes......

My good old Ryobi has a battery problem as well........

One stinking battery costs like $100! :mad:

I swear the do that so you DON'T buy new batteries, but a new drill.

Maybe I should wander back there tomorrow...... ;) :D

Cheers!

Brad Townsend
08-29-2006, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Stu. My daughter-in-law is from Kanagawa and her parents are coming over in a couple of weeks. Maybe they could pick one up for me.;):D

08-29-2006, 9:28 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Stu. My daughter-in-law is from Kanagawa and her parents are coming over in a couple of weeks. Maybe they could pick one up for me.;):D

Or two....... :D

Julio Navarro
08-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Was that at the Joyfull Honda DIY store?

I sure wish we had a store like that around here

08-29-2006, 2:49 PM
Actually no, a place in town that is usually high priced, but I "NEEDED" some sharp 6mm router bits, as the one I was using was tearin up my plywood, closest place I could go, lucky me :D

Cheers!

Alan DuBoff
08-29-2006, 2:52 PM
Nice Stu! Please report back how it works after you use it for a while. I hear good things about the national/panasonic drivers, matsushita seems to have done their homework on that one.

08-29-2006, 3:48 PM
Seems like a good drill, but time will tell.

Got it unpacked, and I used it a bit tonight

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/wine_shelves/new_drill_bit_set.jpg

The set, I guess I have another case to store somewhere..... ::)

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/wine_shelves/new_drill_bit_holder.jpg
A neat thing here, there is a bit holder inside the handle, you have access to it when you take the battery out.

Seems to work fine, lots of power, smooth too, but it is new.

For $80, I'm happy!

Aaron Beaver
08-29-2006, 3:58 PM
Stu, what the black bar/handle on the side near the base?

08-29-2006, 4:11 PM
Stu, what the black bar/handle on the side near the base?

Aaron, that is a belt clip, it is in the closed, don't use position.

You unscrew the other side, flip it up, and then screw it back into place, the black bar hooks over your beld.

http://national.jp/myjoy/products/drill_driver/img/image05.gif

Only pic I could find.

Works very well!

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
08-29-2006, 4:13 PM
Stu:

I noticed on your picture the router has an arrow marked on it, is this the direction the bit turns in, or the direction you push the router in? Or both?

08-29-2006, 4:22 PM
Stu:

I noticed on your picture the router has an arrow marked on it, is this the direction the bit turns in, or the direction you push the router in? Or both?

Ah............. neither, I think it is the direction I push the wrench to loosen the &%$#"'=$# thing to get the bit out........:rolleyes: :D

Hugh Jaskok
08-29-2006, 4:27 PM
Stu:

I think it is pointing to the ajustment knob.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-29-2006, 4:42 PM
Hey Christian, how you doing, long time no see!

Yeah, only one, I'm thinking I should have bought another one.... :rolleyes:

With two, I'd be set.

My POS Bosch greenie is dying, one battery is dead, dead, dead, the other lasts about 15 minutes......

My good old Ryobi has a battery problem as well........

One stinking battery costs like $100! :mad:

I swear the do that so you DON'T buy new batteries, but a new drill.

Maybe I should wander back there tomorrow...... ;) :D

Cheers!

Stu, check out the battery rebuilders... I don't know how much shipping would kill you but you could get your batteries rebuilt to better than new! :)

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 8:49 PM
Man i would grab that at 80.00 as well. Nice gloat and enjoy! I like the 18V Ryobi's that they sell here. The 18V line uses all the same battery and you get 2 for 35.00 I love it!

corey

Mark Rios
08-29-2006, 9:02 PM
I realize that this is a very tiny point but..........

I would just like to point out that Stu does us all a big favor by converting the "real" price he pays from yen to dollars. And I've noticed that he uses miles instead of kilometers as well.

Thanks Stu.

:D :D :D :D :D

I feel a little sad for Stu. He keeps up with the ability to convert all those numbers in his head but he will never be able to leave Japan and move back to where they use miles and dollars. You see......Stu's Liquor shop is REALLY a front for a woodworking tool laundry for the Yakuza. They will never let him leave. :D :D :D

( The preceeding paragraph is only satire. It isn't meant to be serious in any way. Mr. Yakuza man who may be secretly reading this......please don't cut off my fingers. Thank you.)

Mark Rios
08-29-2006, 10:57 PM
So which one is Stu's?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1/104-5840411-2223918?ie=UTF8&sort=salesrank&rh=n%3A468240%2Cn%3A551236%2Cn%3A552794%2Cn%3A5611 40%2Cp%5F4%3APanasonic%2Cn%3A552744%2Cn%3A924390&page=1

08-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Stu, check out the battery rebuilders... I don't know how much shipping would kill you but you could get your batteries rebuilt to better than new! :)

I did, and the shipping is killer!

I need to work out a way around that....

I also have the first cordless I bought, a good, still rocking (well for the 20 seconds the battery lasts) Makita 9.6V.

Next time my kids head back to Canada for Christmas, maybe I'll get them all boxed up and have them ship from Canada...?

Cheers!

08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
So which one is Stu's?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1/104-5840411-2223918?ie=UTF8&sort=salesrank&rh=n%3A468240%2Cn%3A551236%2Cn%3A552794%2Cn%3A5611 40%2Cp%5F4%3APanasonic%2Cn%3A552744%2Cn%3A924390&page=1

I'm thinking it is this one

EY6405FQKW (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6405FQKW/dp/B00006IIO9/sr=1-2/qid=1156912828/ref=sr_1_2/102-1477542-9407341?ie=UTF8&s=hi)
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00006IIO9.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62615842_.jpg

Looks similar, has the same features, and the NiCd batteries too.

$132 at Amazon, boy, looks like I finally cut a deal! :D

Christian Aufreiter
08-30-2006, 6:11 AM
I'm thinking it is this one

EY6405FQKW (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6405FQKW/dp/B00006IIO9/sr=1-2/qid=1156912828/ref=sr_1_2/102-1477542-9407341?ie=UTF8&s=hi)
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00006IIO9.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62615842_.jpg

Looks similar, has the same features, and the NiCd batteries too.

$132 at Amazon, boy, looks like I finally cut a deal! :D

I think this Panasonic on amazon has a better chuck than the one Stu got.

Regards,

Christian

08-30-2006, 6:37 AM
I think this Panasonic on amazon has a better chuck than the one Stu got.

Regards,

Christian

I don't know what you base that on?

From all the pics I see on Amazon and Panasonic, plus downloading the service and operating manuals, I see no mention of the chuck, but the the chuck on my drill, is a "Jacobs" brand chuck, which is better, I think ;) :D

Cheers!

Art Mulder
08-30-2006, 7:10 AM
I feel a little sad for Stu. He keeps up with the ability to convert all those numbers in his head but he will never be able to leave Japan and move back to where they use miles and dollars.

Dollars, yes. Miles, no. Kilometers and Celsius!:D

Christian Aufreiter
08-30-2006, 7:13 AM
I don't know what you base that on?

From all the pics I see on Amazon and Panasonic, plus downloading the service and operating manuals, I see no mention of the chuck, but the the chuck on my drill, is a "Jacobs" brand chuck, which is better, I think ;) :D

Cheers!

Honestly, it's pretty difficult to explain that.
As far as I can tell from the pics, your drill is equipped with an "old-fashioned" "two-handed" chuck (you need to hold the ring in order to "lock" the spindle). The Panasonic on Amazon seems to have a "one-handed", single sleeve chuck (the spindle locks automatically).

Regards,

Christian

08-30-2006, 7:52 AM
Honestly, it's pretty difficult to explain that.
As far as I can tell from the pics, your drill is equipped with an "old-fashioned" "two-handed" chuck (you need to hold the ring in order to "lock" the spindle). The Panasonic on Amazon seems to have a "one-handed", single sleeve chuck (the spindle locks automatically).

Regards,

Christian

Christian, you are correct, I did not even know such a chuck existed!

Well there you go, I learned something today.

Self locking chuck, neat idea!

Cheers!

08-30-2006, 7:58 AM
Dollars, yes. Miles, no. Kilometers and Celsius!:D

Not to get too far off track, but I went to school when we had to know both.

I'm fine with miles or Kms and inches or cm but the one that just used to not stick in my head is the Km to litres, compared to MPG.

If you told me your truck got 50 MPG (Even the Imp Gallon) I'd be impressed, but if you say it gets 10 Km/litre, I used to go "Huh?" :confused:

But then I got my much loved VTR1000F motorcycle, this bike, tuned, got crap mileage, I was lucky to see 10 Km/Litre, and ran out of gas a few time while touring, I carry a 6' length of small tubing under the seat to siphon gas from touring buddy's bikes.

I started to learn the hard way, so now 25 Km/litre sounds really good! :D

08-31-2006, 2:15 PM
While I was down in the Dungeon doing some flatwork, I took a couple shot of the belt hook thing on the drill...........

Here it is in the deployed position for right handers

and they even make it so that left handers can use this belt hook thing

When in use, it is not in the way at all.

Good idea!

Cheers!

Narayan Nayar
08-31-2006, 3:27 PM
I have two 12V Panasonic drills and their "digital" (!) impact driver as well. One of the drills I've had for almost 4 years now. I won't buy another brand.

For the record, the batteries are NiMH, not NiCD.

Every once in a while there are sales on these things. I got the impact driver last year because it came with a "free" 12V drill body. So now I have four batteries and three drills. Not too shabby, and I'm building a shop drawer just for the Panasonics.

Greg Koch
08-31-2006, 3:59 PM
I did, and the shipping is killer!

I need to work out a way around that....

I also have the first cordless I bought, a good, still rocking (well for the 20 seconds the battery lasts) Makita 9.6V.

Next time my kids head back to Canada for Christmas, maybe I'll get them all boxed up and have them ship from Canada...?

Cheers!

Stu,

You can always have them shipped to me here in Seattle, and I can mail them to you via ship.... Takes a month to get to you, but cheaper. I can give you a estimate if you let me know the weight.

Greg

08-31-2006, 9:09 PM
.............For the record, the batteries are NiMH, not NiCD.............

Well, your drills may be NiMH, but mine are NiCD for sure.

Sounds like you really like those drills, three of the same drill, cool, do you number them, and try NOT to use the same one all the time, kind of spread out the wear and tear?

Cheers!

Kevin Blunt
08-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Nice score Stu!

Narayan Nayar
09-03-2006, 8:47 PM
Well, your drills may be NiMH, but mine are NiCD for sure.

Sounds like you really like those drills, three of the same drill, cool, do you number them, and try NOT to use the same one all the time, kind of spread out the wear and tear?

Cheers!

:)

Well, to be fair, I have two of the same drill and an impact driver. I'm a genius when it comes to justifying tool purchases (sadly, I wish I had half as many smarts when it came to using the tools I've purchased), and my rationale was purchasing more than one drill to overcome a big nuisance when building cabinets: predrilling. You know (the drill, nyuk nyuk)--put the drill bit in, drill, take the bit out, put the screwdriver bit in, etc. etc.

Interesting to me that they're selling NiCD versions in parallel. You'd think it'd be easiest to make one battery for all models.