PDA

View Full Version : Dutch doors

Bob Mooney
08-29-2006, 8:06 AM
Has anyone attempted to make their own Dutch doors? I'm considering it for an interior door, and wondering if it would be worth doing, or if I should just look for a commercial product. If anyone's made one, what wood recommendations might you have?

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Gee, dutch interior doors are rare enough that you may have to make your own. Wood choice? Whatever you like. What species are the other interior doors in the house? Or what species is the furniture nearby? Or maybe are you going to paint the door?

Marty Walsh
08-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Dutch aren't as rare as you might think.

Bob, have a peek at http://www.dutchdoorstore.com/ , they might give you some good ideas on patterns, materials, etc. Just don't look at their price list, unless you're sitting down!!! :eek:

And don't forget to post pictures of what you create...

- Marty -

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Many years ago I needed a Dutch door and couldn't find one. I took a full size door and cut it in half, added some hindges and I was done.:D

Bob Mooney
08-30-2006, 6:12 AM
This is all very preliminary now, but I think its something the little lady would like. So, we know what that means! ;) I was thinking of making my own, I would definitely NOT paint it. Wood species would still be up in the air. I've definitely got some research to do, but I appreciate your input, which certainly gives me other ideas.

Ben Grunow
08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Remember Bob- these doors have a rabbeted edge where the two panels meet. Just cutting a regular door in half will work fine but a rabbet makes them nicer for keeping out light (bedroom at night) and breezes/weather for exterior applications. No biggie but no one mentioned it. Good luck

Bob Mooney
08-31-2006, 7:33 AM
Ben,

Excellent point. I will have to be sure to remember that when the time comes. Seems to me that I ought to just get a regular door and do the cut. However, I'm thinking she's gonna want something a little fancier, so I may need to look at the options at the website previously noted. This will be a ways down the road, after I finish my basement. I'm almost there, and once I figure out the pix posting process, I'll get some photos up. Regarding the door, I'll keep ya posted.