PDA

View Full Version : Wall Mounted Necklace Cabinet - Completed

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 2:03 AM
I realized I've been lazy in posting pics. Here's what will become a wall mounted necklace cabinet for the LOML. Its sitting around letting the BLO dry. An oil stain of my own color, shellac and wax will be the finish as per a demo finish sample that she approved. 1/8" proud and chamfered through tenons on the carcas, bridle joints on the door frame, matching red oak plywood for the rabetted back and a mirror in the door. Proud and chamered tenons are echoed on the horizontals.

The small piece in the door frame pic is the drawer front. Per her request it will be a single drawer divided in the middle front to back to make two internal compartments but made to look like three small drawers when closed (?). If she's happy, I'm happy. Drawer sides, back and bottom will be shellac only to create an interesting contrast at the locking drawer joints and keep it light inside for her to search for that one earring back that she can't find.

I've been taking my time on this one as I blew-out a tendon in my right elbow. It's amazing how much you use your right arm when you're right handed. I should have posted more pics while I was goofing off. Anyway, construction has been slow but it keeps me off the street. Polished brass hardware will finish it up. Completed pic will follow.

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 2:12 PM
Here's the first application of stain. One or two to go, I'll know after coat two. It's a very simple-line type piece to match her bedroom.

Ken Garlock
08-29-2006, 9:24 PM
Well Glenn, I am not sure what a necklace cabinet is, but what I see I like.:) The stain is a nice color and the grain pattern is good, IMO. The through tenons are a nice touch. Do post some pictures when it is completed, I am anxious to see the completed cabinet.

glenn bradley
08-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. LOML has a boat-load of necklaces. There will be hooks to hang the bulk of the 22" chains and the cutout in the middle shelf allows for the long ones. She saw something like it in a catalog and here we are.

I wanted to do the second coat this evening but with our California weather, the oak takes forever to dry. Hope to finish up by the weekend and post the completed shots.

glenn bradley
08-30-2006, 6:06 PM
Second coat of stain is on and I've gotten the color that I'm after; a little more brown, not so much red.

glenn bradley
09-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Well this took awhile longer than planned. This is a home for LOML's necklaces with a mirrored door for that last minute "cool check" before heading out to wherever.

Got the idea of recessing a penny in a hidden spot for dating purposes from somewhere. This one's in the back of the drawer.

I still need a lot of experience with finishing; BLO, oil stain, shellac and paste wax.

My fabulous ability as a photographer showing. You can see the 36 hooks for the necklaces. The middle shelf has a cutout to allow longer necklaces hung from above to pass by. I know they appear to be in some random pattern due to the angle of the shot. They are actually laid out in crescents to allow the back hooks to be reached without snagging on the fron hooks.

The drawer to her specs: 1 drawer, 2 compartments, looks like 3 when closed.

Through tenon and door bridle joint shot. Again my photographic skills are evident.

Thanks to all for looking!

Corey Hallagan
09-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Very nice Glenn. It looks beautiful and I am sure your lady is loving it. Excellent!

corey

Lee Schierer
09-19-2006, 1:04 PM
You rcabinet looks nice. I'm sure it will be filled quickly. I know the jewlry box I recently completed was filled pretty fast. Just be sure to buy your tools before it gets filled.:D

Gail O'Rourke
09-19-2006, 6:37 PM
Great project, your wife is very lucky. It will be nice to have.

Don Bergren
09-19-2006, 8:47 PM
Very nice Glenn. The doors just jump right out at me and catch my eye. I really like the way they are rounded in the inside corners. Great project!

john whittaker
09-19-2006, 9:35 PM
Nice work Glen,

Very unique idea I might have to borrow. Would save me time untangling LOML's chains. I like the color of the oak and the penny dating idea as well. Thanks for posting. Project looks great.