PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-345 problem?

Mark Nguyen
08-29-2006, 1:19 AM
Hi,

I've been shopping for a 18" - 19" bandsaw in the $900-$1100 range. One of the candidates is the Rikon 10-345. While researching this saw, I found an article describing a design flaw with the tensioner and tracking system:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:twvWQUVEpisJ:www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/woodworking/power.tools.their.use/1604-rikon.10.345.bandsaw.see.flaw.html+rikon+10-345&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=18&client=firefox-a

Can anyone with the 10-345 verify if this is an issue? Or if it was an issue, if it's been fixed?

Mark

Joe Fisher
08-29-2006, 9:50 AM
I asked Rikon about it when I was researcing bandsaws. Their reply was that they've added grease to the friction point and the problem went away.

That wasn't good enough for me and I bought an MM16. YMMV :)

-Joe

Mark Nguyen
08-29-2006, 9:17 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply. Rikon's answer isn't exactly comforting. I think I'll scratch Rikon off my list unless I learn something different.

The bandsaws on my short list are:

- Grizzly G014X or Grizzly G013X
- Shop Fox W1707 or W1729

The Minimax and Lagunas look nice but they're way beyond budget (already stretched for the Grizzly and Shop Fox saws).

Thanks,
Mark

Russ Massery
08-29-2006, 9:53 PM
Mark, I've been looking at bandsaws in that size also. You might want to look at the 18" Jet. It's not in the league as say Minimax, Laguna. But with the improvments they made to it recently.I feel It's worth a good look. And it's in the price range your looking at.

Mark Nguyen
08-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Russ,

Thanks for suggesting the JET 710750 JWBS-18X. It looks very clean (I'm sure being all white has something to do with this) and Jet is a good brand. There seems to be some complaints with the difficulty in adjusting the lower guides (from Amazon reviews). Is this also an issue with the Grizzly and SF models?

The Jet is rated at 1/2HP less than the Grizzly or Shop Fox models. The Grizzly G0514X is rated at 3HP. Did Grizz/SF over-rate their HP?

The concerns that I have with the Grizzly and/or Shop Fox saws are:
- How good is their tensioning capability?
- How easy/difficult is it to change blades?
- Is it required to removed the upper guide-post cover (UGPC) to change the blade? If so, is the UGPC hinged?

I've looked over the grizzly site and manual but it I didn't see any obvious anwers to the above questions. I'm leaning towards the G0514X.

Mark