PDA

View Full Version : Insert powerclip into graphic

Tom Cullen
08-28-2006, 6:44 PM
I'm not sure if this can be done with a graphic but here goes. I have a graphic that is in EPS format and I am trying to insert a bitmap photo into it using the powerclip in corel 12, see attached graphic. The graphic is a circle with flames contained within going up the inside of the circle. I want to place the photo in the middle but when I use the powerclip and say insert with the black arrow, the image is actually inserted into the EPS graphic. What I mean is you can only see the inserted image in the flames and graphic borders ( make sense? ). I have tried to convert it to bitmap but it still does the same thing. I'm now wondering if it can be done at all. I have many similar graphics that I would like to utilize ( EPS), so it would be a great help if someone could come up with a way of doing it.

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2006, 7:03 PM
Tom,

Break apart the curves on the eps, then it turns black. Fix that by changing things to black/white again, and then the powerclip works
the way you want.

Tom Cullen
08-28-2006, 7:11 PM
Hi Joe,
thanks for the reply , I'm just getting used to using corel so would you be so kind as to explain in steps how to do what you mentioned. I'm pretty much a novice and most things I have picked up have been here on the creek. many thanks

Tom

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2006, 7:36 PM
Your eps is made up of several objects, that are grouped together, so powerclip doesn't know where to put the photo.

Select it and then arrange/break curve apart. You'll see a big black circle.
Select the whole thing, click on the white color box or fill bucket on the left and fill with white or X for no fill. Then select the pen and give it a 1/2 point or whatever you want width. You should now have a black outline around a white circle and a black outline around the white flames.

Select the picture, then effects, powerclip, place inside container.
Point the arrow to the edge of the circle.You should have the photo inside the circle, the flames still as black outlines on the photo.

Now if you wanted to you could import another bitmap, say of fire, and powerclip it into each of the flames.

I hope that helps. I have to get going but will check in tomorrow morning
if you still need help and no one else chimes in.

Tom Cullen
08-28-2006, 8:19 PM
Followed your instructions Joe and everything went well until I selected the pen and point for thickness.... well that actully went acording to plans but the issue I now have is that some of the flames are lost ( gone) during the process. I have attached a file so you can see. Maybe it's my applacition?

Tom Cullen
08-28-2006, 8:20 PM
Forgot to mention I tried other files with the same results?

Frank Corker
08-29-2006, 5:43 AM
Hi Tom,

I see what your problem is - here is a work-around. Highlight the eps file, convert it to bmp, do a high quality trace and remove background - voila you end up with this. It works

Joe Pelonio
08-29-2006, 7:49 AM
Frank's idea works, but there is an easier fix. At the point where you see part of the flame is gone, select view, wireframe. You will see that there's another circle there with a line across where that missing flame is. Click that line and delete it and the extra circle and your flame is back. The extra circle was covering it up. Click view, normal, and do the powerclip.

Tom Cullen
08-29-2006, 5:01 PM
Going to give up on this one Joe,Frank.... having other weird issues. I could just create an oval using the elipse tool and set it into the graphic to match and then insert the image with powerclip and point to the created elipse oval . After that I would make sure to bring the EPS image to the front. I have messed around with it and so far it looks like this might work. Thank you guys for your time and skill.

"Terry Pless"
09-09-2006, 1:03 AM
Tom, don't give up theirs allways a way. I reconfigured this for you in a corell12 cdr so you can ungroup it and take it apart and make it what you want. I haven't made any post yet so the fun is to see if I can get my attachments to download. Save, then open/import in corell. Terry46474

Rodne Gold
09-09-2006, 1:46 AM
The eps graphic is "broken" in that it is not able to be separated into components , it has not come into corel properly.
Create a circle the same diameter as the graphic , powerclip into that and overlay the original EPS file on top of it