PDA

View Full Version : Laser losing power?

Jason Lippert
08-28-2006, 3:45 PM
First post, Hello all

I've noticed everyone here is pretty knowledgable and friendly so I figured I would try here first before Epilog. I use a Legend 36EXT, which our shop has had for about 10 months. I've generally had good things to say about the machine but lately I think the laser is losing power. Today I was vector cutting some plastic and our normal setting for that cut about half the way through. I figured dirty optics etc. Well, they were a little spotty, but nothing major. This is starting to puzzle me. Things are taking two passes, or higher power than before. I checked to see if the focus adjust was out of whack, but if it was, it was like a -15 adjustment, (less than 1/16) any suggestions on other things to try and or test would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2006, 4:25 PM
You'd be surprised how much difference a focus being off by 1/16" will make, especially if you have under 50 watts.

There is the possibility of the laser losing power though, if it continues
after cleaning and focusing, talk to Epilog while it's still on warranty (it's
probably one year).

Jason Lippert
08-28-2006, 4:37 PM
I was a little dissappointed with Epilog's method of focus calibration.
From the PDF sent by tech

"Press FOCUS on the keypad while the job is running. Use either the UP or DOWN arrow to focus the table and find the brightest spot where the laser is buring on the aluminum."

Of course this is not the whole process, but as a starting point it seems a little imprecise to get a proper focal length. Is this similar to what other Laser Mfg's have you do? I've only used Epilog lasers.

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2006, 4:58 PM
What the ____??:eek:

I have the Legend 24tt. Most of the time I'll use auto focus, but to manually focus I have a small metal magnetized focus tool that sets on the head. With the machine on but not running, press focus button, rotate knob to raise/lower table until the tip of the triangular tool touches the material to be lasered. Press enter and reset, run job.

Your description of their procedure sounds really inacurate, to the point of being useless. Maybe someone else has the ext and can suggest something.

Mike Mackenzie
08-28-2006, 5:04 PM
What this sounds like to me is calibrating the focus tool or Len's in the field we do this to check if the tool matches the Len's. They also focus this way with a Galvo head Yag marker. It sounds to me like they sent you the wrong info or they are wanting you to check to see what Len's you have or to calibrate your focus tool.

Peck Sidara
08-29-2006, 2:02 PM
First post, Hello all

I've noticed everyone here is pretty knowledgable and friendly so I figured I would try here first before Epilog. I use a Legend 36EXT, which our shop has had for about 10 months. I've generally had good things to say about the machine but lately I think the laser is losing power. Today I was vector cutting some plastic and our normal setting for that cut about half the way through. I figured dirty optics etc. Well, they were a little spotty, but nothing major. This is starting to puzzle me. Things are taking two passes, or higher power than before. I checked to see if the focus adjust was out of whack, but if it was, it was like a -15 adjustment, (less than 1/16) any suggestions on other things to try and or test would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Jason,

It is always advised to contact the manufacturer first when dealing with any technical issues. It is possible that you are indeed dealing with a loss of power and we would be the best contact to determine if that is the case. There are other possible causes for a loss of power as well and one of our tech reps would be able to guide you to a solution. We can be reached M-F 6-6PM MST at 303.215.9171

Regards,
Peck Sidara
Epilog Tech Support