PDA

View Full Version : particle board and laminate question/advice

russell johansen
08-28-2006, 3:40 PM
I am about to finish my first woodworking project. It is a pine desk for my son that will be painted.

I am working on the top of the desk. I am planning to use particle board as a base and laminate for the top.

My question is: do I need to seal the particle board with something? If so, do I seal it before or after applying the top piece? Due to the cost of the laminate I was hoping not to have to put it on both sides of the particle board. If I must, how do I seal the edges?

On a related note, I have solid wood writing slides that I was thinking of putting the laminate on also. Any problems with that?

Looking forward to posting pics soon. Just have to finish the top and paint it. Hopefully done before school starts! THanks for your advice.

Jim Becker
08-28-2006, 3:44 PM
No, you do not need to "seal" the particle board. Just use a good quality, solvent-based contact cement to adhere the laminate to your substrate. You do not need to cover the bottom...your mounting method should keep it flat.

I suggest you reconsider putting laminate on those solid-wood writing surfaces. Wood movement is real... ;)

George Robin
08-28-2006, 4:06 PM
Jim is right as usual!

Be sureto follow the instructions for the contact adhesive, and it should come out fine.

Neil Lamens
08-28-2006, 5:35 PM
Hi Russell:

Jim's right on with the contact cement.

Just as a personal perference, I laminate the underside of all my tops about 3 inches back. I just preferr if an individual runs his hand under the top, it feel smooth and not particle board rough.....also if it were a kitchen counter top, I do it for moisture reasons...just a thing I do.

When you do your laminating, do the underside first, file smooth, then your edges, file and I usually use a sanding block to get the top and laminate edge nice and smooth then, laminate the top, file (bevel) all edges so nothing gets caught that pulls and tears on your edges.

Ventilate well the contact cement gets smelly.

Neil

russell johansen
08-29-2006, 6:59 AM
thanks for the advice. Getting close to finishing now and cant wait. I hope to finish the desk this week. Really appreciate the help