PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Box Elder Burl Bowl

Glenn Hodges
10-06-2003, 2:07 PM
Thought I would share this bowl with you all. It is a piece of burl
I was given in Montana this past summer. It was the devil to turn
because it was so spalted, but I was pleased with the result. The bowl is 12 inches wide, and 7 inches high, finished with a solution of tung oil, varnish, and turpentine. I then buffed it with the Beal Buffing System. Your comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Tom Sweeney
10-06-2003, 2:30 PM
That turned out great! looks like it was a bear to turn - definately a silk purse out of a sows ear (what a wierd saying that is).

I definately want to get my hands on some spalted box elder - cool stuff.

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 8:21 PM
Thought I would share this bowl with you all. It is a piece of burl
I was given in Montana this past summer. It was the devil to turn
because it was so spalted, but I was pleased with the result. The bowl is 12 inches wide, and 7 inches high, finished with a solution of tung oil, varnish, and turpentine. I then buffed it with the Beal Buffing System. Your comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Glenn,

Nice job on the bowl. A question, how long do you have to let it cure before you buff it out using a tung oil mixture? I've heard tung oil takes forever to cure. :confused:

Thanks,

Joe

Glenn Hodges
10-06-2003, 8:57 PM
Thanks Joe, I use polymerized tung oil in the mixture. Polymerized tung oil will cure much faster than pure tung oil. Put it on, after about 10 minures I rub it off, rub it so you will not be able to see any finger prints on the finish, and set it aside for 24 hours. After this I had rub it with white synthetic (0000) steel wool, use a tack cloth, and put on another coat--I put about 5 coats of this on the bowl. I usually let it cure for about a week just to make sure the finish is cured good and hard before I buff. I have used pure tung oil in the past and substituted naptha for the turpentine, it works almost as well. The naptha will make the tung oil cure faster. Good to hear from you.
Glenn

Glenn,

Nice job on the bowl. A question, how long do you have to let it cure before you buff it out using a tung oil mixture? I've heard tung oil takes forever to cure. :confused:

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks Joe, I use polymerized tung oil in the mixture. Polymerized tung oil will cure much faster than pure tung oil. Put it on, after about 10 minures I rub it off, rub it so you will not be able to see any finger prints on the finish, and set it aside for 24 hours. After this I had rub it with white synthetic (0000) steel wool, use a tack cloth, and put on another coat--I put about 5 coats of this on the bowl. I usually let it cure for about a week just to make sure the finish is cured good and hard before I buff. I have used pure tung oil in the past and substituted naptha for the turpentine, it works almost as well. The naptha will make the tung oil cure faster. Good to hear from you.
Glenn

Thanks for the info Glenn. I have a bottle of pure tung oil that I haven't used since I heard it could take months to cure. Now I have a use for it.

Joe

Bob Lasley
10-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Devil or no, that is one nice bowl. Great form and whoa........what a piece of wood!!

Bob

Ken Salisbury
10-07-2003, 9:55 AM
Absolutely Superb ! ! ! !

Glenn Hodges
10-07-2003, 12:53 PM
I appreciate all your kind remarks about my bowl. I live on a farm in South Georgia and there are no other turners near me. It is nice to have such positive feedback from all of you. You inspire me to do more and better. Thanks again.