PDA

View Full Version : Zero Clearance Inserts for Incra WonderFence?

Mike Goetzke
08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I just put together my Incra LS-Positioner and WonderFence. I used it this weekend to make several raised panels for a project I'm working on. I did use a Dremel to mod the split fence slightly to accomodate my rail/stile bits. But, when I routed the raised panels w/my horizontal bit at times the panel would hang up slightly when it came in line with the outfeed split fence half. I checked and double checked the alignment of the split fences and they are as close as can be - I think I need a zero clearance insert.

I see in the manual that you can make sacrificial fences that attach to the split fence with the tee-track but I would like to make a piece that fits and is fastened between the split fences. Just wondering if someone has done this already to save me the engineering time.

Thanks,

Mike

David Giles
08-28-2006, 2:28 PM
Mike, it would be easier to make one long sacrificial fence. Drill two holes and attach it to the Incra fence with those oblong flat washers. Just slide it in. Make the fence a little taller, drill four holes and you can flip it over when you need a new sacrificial fence. Or make one side fit the WonderFence and one side fit the table saw fence.

The inserts never seem to come out perfectly square. It just difficult to align three pieces in a row versus one long piece of MDF.

Mike Goetzke
08-28-2006, 3:48 PM
Mike, it would be easier to make one long sacrificial fence. Drill two holes and attach it to the Incra fence with those oblong flat washers. Just slide it in. Make the fence a little taller, drill four holes and you can flip it over when you need a new sacrificial fence. Or make one side fit the WonderFence and one side fit the table saw fence.

The inserts never seem to come out perfectly square. It just difficult to align three pieces in a row versus one long piece of MDF.

Thanks - I saw smaller inserts for the Sommerfeld fence and was thinking it would be neat to do the same for the Incra, but, you make an excellent point about one continuous piece.

Mike

Ron Robinson
08-28-2006, 6:24 PM
I made mine much like the book. Two pieces that you can move into the bit to create the zero clearance. Then I can flip the two pieces end for end and have two profiles per set. Made from MDF they're quick and easy to make. Get set up and make a couple dozen.

Ron Robinson

Chris McKimson
08-28-2006, 6:47 PM
Woodpeckers sells them. I bought a pair at the last WW show along with a WonderFence. They look pretty easy to reproduce.

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/iconwfzeroc.jpg

Chris