PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2006, 9:09 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

It's time to post what you did over the past weekend. For me, it was time in the shop working on some rustic type cabinets for a youth home called 2nd Chance Youth Ranch. It's specifically for troubled kids that need a place of protection or just youth that no longer have any parents at all and need a place to live. It's a great cause and I've volunteered my labor to build them some simple cabinets for their "country store". The materials were donated by someone that has visited the ranch, so my choice of materials are not, well let just say, not exactly what I'd choose for cabinet wood. Anyway, this should be interesting.

It's still very dry here and we really, really could use some rain. Temps are still hot and humid, but this should get better in the next few weeks. I hope.!!

Sunday was church and I played bass again. Did I mention that I like to play music? ;) Sunday afternoon was family time, R&R time and just great time to be lazy and spend it with the family.

It's back to work today and I'm hoping it's back in the shop tonight.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

John Timberlake
08-28-2006, 9:25 AM
I tried to turn a bowl, but got the bottom too thin. Since the wood was only mostly dry, it cracked. More firewood. Also glued up and turned 12" long quarter columns for a demo I have to do in September. Also got the septic system pumped out, tried to clear the outlet of the septic drain from tree roots, and went to an exhibit of Israeli artificts call the Cradle of Christianity.

Jim Becker
08-28-2006, 9:29 AM
I was...

IN THE SHOP ALL WEEKEND!

Wow, it's been a long time. Even the chips and shavings on the floor were smiling--they had been so lonely for so long... :D :D :D

So...I worked on my tiger maple Shaker style candle stand project and have it pretty much into the finishing stage. New pictures are posted in the thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32449&page=2)starting with post #25.

I also put together a quick 'n dirty music holder to fasten onto the stand that my Kurzweil 2000 keyboard is back to living on. I brought it out of storage a few weeks ago so that the girls could have something "less kiddie" to try and play tunes on. Since it's a pro setup, my stand had no provisions for holding music and that's a pre-requisite to making an attempt at teaching them how to read music and play...particularly the older, Nastia. She seems to have a good aptitude and has been picking out melodies by ear very well. I'll post another picture once this is mounted on the setup, but here is it after getting a "good shellac-ing". 1/2" scrap ply, 24" x 14" edged with scrap cherry and scrap walnut.

This weekend also brought the girls' first experience with "Hibachi Japanese"...here are a few pictures of that.

Bob Childress
08-28-2006, 9:33 AM
Well, for once I actually did what I planned to do. Finished grouting the new kitchen countertop plus backsplash and sketched out some designs for base cabinet pull out storage. Took many loads of tools back to the shop and restored our sun porch to its intended use (instead of a messy staging area). SWMBO mowed the lawn (bless her).

This week I had better sell a house or two so I can pay for all this remodeling.:D (Not to mention more tools.);)

Fred Voorhees
08-28-2006, 9:34 AM
Minimal shop time what with the wrist still being a bit out of comission due to the carpal tunnel surgery. Myself and a racing buddy were planning on hitting the Syracuse,NY area to take in two weekly racing programs up there. The weather turned those planned topsy turvy, so we decided to hit a track out in Pennsylvania that was having their final points race. On the way out, we hit the Cabelas monster store and picked up new steelhead fishing rods and reels for our upcoming salmon and trout fishing trip in early November.

Saturday, I joined the same buddy and went and looked at the used camper for him to purchase for our annual Syracuse racing trip in early October. Camper was in fine shape and he made the buy. We pick it up today (Mon). Saturday night was the "gatherin' of the boys" for the NEXTEL event from Bristol. Sunday was spent just being lazy with not much to do. Was planning on trying to start on sealing the driveway, but again, the weather had other things in mind for me. I did manage to put a few coats of clear finish on some sink covers/cutting boards for our camper. The originals that came with the camper had seen better days and I had some scrap birch ply laying around the shop.

Two more weeks and I'm back to work.:confused:

Art Mulder
08-28-2006, 9:38 AM
So what did YOU do this weekend?
Sunday started with a bang for us, quite literally, as our youngest (almost 3) fell out of bed and whacked his head on the hardwood floor and raised a nice goose egg. This was 5am.

He's a real climber, and is always bumping something. This was the 2nd head injury for him in about five days, since he fell off the toy box back around Wednesday and gave himself a minor cut on the back of his head.

But he wasn't finished adding to my grey hairs just yet! around 9:20 we sent the kids off to load into the minivan to go to church and within 2 minutes the word came back that Theo was crying as he had fallen... more blood. This time he managed to somehow fall backwards and crack his head open on a wooden box that we keep between the two front seats. It was only about 3/4" long, but it was nice and deep. (note the new definition of the word "nice")

So that makes THREE head injuries over the past five days for our youngest. So I dropped the rest of the family off at church and took him into the emerg to get stiched up. Wonder of wonders, the kid's emergency was pretty empty and they had him frozen and stitched and out the door with a popsicle in hand in less than an hour. I actually caught the last 10 minutes of church.

(sometimes people up here in Canada complain about the healthcare system, but our experience on Sunday morning was stellar.)

And Sunday afternoon, after things had calmed down, I even got into the shop. I cut up some maple and purpleheart and glued it up for a cuttingboard. Hopefully I'll have some photos by next weekend. In between larger projects, this year, I'm putting together a bunch of cuttingboards for family christmas presents.

best,
...art

Rick Doyle
08-28-2006, 9:54 AM
Well, a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

My wife and I took up the old vinyl flooring in our main bathroom and replaced it with ceramic tiles. The tiles are all down now, just waiting for the thinset to cure so we can grout tomorrow and get this job over with.

In between tiling, I started to make another Chimney Cupboard. I've got all the pieces of pine cut to size so now I can start assembling the case tomorrow - after the grouting. I made a chimney cupboard earlier this year and finished it using Golden Oak Stain. I like it, but this time I'm going to finish the pine using a milk paint.

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Turned a couple of NE's on my lathe...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41983

My hope was to get out the chainsaw and cut up a few more blanks, but time ran out. Maybe this evening.....:rolleyes:

...and BTW we could sure use some rain here too. Everything's brown. This year, due to the drought we've had, the leaves will simply drop from the trees without much time to enjoy the autumn colors. What a shame.:(

Mark

Al Willits
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Interesting weekend here, won a DeWalt planer, repaired the cracks in the side door concrete steps, finished gluing the basswood pieces to make the panels for the cabinet and promtly cut them to small....helped the wife clean the basement and spent even more time in the garage playing, I have today off so as soon as I get done at the doctors I'll be making new door panels...out of pine.. :)

Hoping to someday make something I can post a picture of, don't think this garage cabinet is gonna be it though....:)

Well...unless we start doing before and after pictures...I can be the before...:)

Al

Charles Wilson
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
On Saturday, I did some paint stripping on my garage with an IR paint stripper that I have and got down to bear wood. I though I was satisfied with the amount of paint that I took off as I thought the paint that was left was going to look okay. Needless to say I am probably going to strip some more parts of the garage. Its the price you have to pay for being a perfectionist. :)

As for Sunday, I decided to run a local 5k. I got about 3/4 of the way through and tweeked my knee. As the day went on, it got worse. It is a little better today but have a pronounced limp. I guess no ice hockey tonight. My wife, who is a physical therapist, says it could be bursitis or a stress fracture. Guess I should have done that race, huh.

Regards,
Chuck

JayStPeter
08-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Saturday I installed a new head unit in my truck. I got it back in December ... so it was a quick install :rolleyes: . Oh well, it's good to have it in and get rid of the jumble of wires I was using to play my iPod through the factory unit.
Sunday I got up and cut the lawn. I really felt bad afterwards, like I had run a marathon or something. I guess I didn't drink enough water on Friday/Saturday and was very dehydrated. After a couple gallons of water, I finally peed after dinner. Sheesh, I was planning on spending a couple hours in the shop instead of laying around all day.

Jay

Greg Koch
08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Worked on the garden for a bit, tying up cucumber and tomato plants, then started on my Uniguard assembly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_GuardFront.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/GuardFront.jpg)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_GuardBack.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/GuardBack.jpg)

One of the plastic sides to the guard moves inward when you tighten the set screw... I think the mounting holes are not in alignment.

I cut 2 of the 3 slots needed to mount the tube onto the rear rail and am filing/grinding them to finish. The 3rd will be done today, after deciding the needed location on the 40"L rail. Then the rail will be sanded and painted...a Hammerite black, I think (I don't have a white, and the Uniguard tube is black as well.)

More pics on the project later.

Keel McDonald
08-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I've been working every weekday evening, Saturday, and Sunday after church on a back deck. It's about 40' long X 4' wide. There is a secion that is 8' wide. It's a project that is long overdue. It connects my house to my workshop, and also provides a way to get in the kitchen from the driveway. I'm nearly 3/4 through with it.

Matt Meiser
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Saturday I had to run to the John Deere dealer to pick up a new transmission filter for the tractor since the old one got a big dent. Got home and started changing that. While refilling the hyraulic fluid, I tripped over the mower deck and sprained my ankle badly. So the rest of the weekend was spent at urgent care and laying around.

Hank Knight
I cleaned 50 years of gunk build-up from a Walker Turner bench top drill press I bought recently from the government, finished disassembly including removing all the bearings, removed 5 or 6 coats of paint and ordered new parts. It's ready to paint and reassemble. It should be a sweet runner when I finish. I just love Walker Turner stuff.

Hank

Frank Pellow
Margaret and I have spent most of the summer at Pellow's Camp inear Hearst in Northern Ontario. We returned south earlier in the week so that Margaret can deal with our vegetable harvest in Toronto. I planned to return to camp today with my brother John, but enroute to Toronto from Hearst, we stopped in at my daughter Kristel's home near Ottawa. They have recently had an above ground pool installed and Kristel and her husband are madly trying to finish a deck around the pool. So, I volunteered to delay my return to Pellow's Camp and to help them for a few days.

Yesterday morning, I drove from Tronto to Kristel's place (about 4 hours) then built these stringers for stairs to connect their old deck with the new one around the pool:

Randy Long
08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I assembled this:
http://home.wi.rr.com/rlongroot/projects/Tree-Shelf-002.jpg

Don Baer
08-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Friday night I assembled the 2 hp DC I picked up for the temp shop. Sat Morn LOML a nd I took Son, DIL and grandaughter to the Zoo and then lunch afterwards. I got some shop time in in the afternoon while watching the race. Sunday morn was church. A little more shop time then had to get cleaned up and off to a Bar-B-Que at my nephews house over in Gilbert.

Jerry Strojny
08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm a little embassed to post after that cool looking tree shelf. All I did was continue working on the baby crib and the plans for a nursery side table. Plans are done for the side table. And about a quarter of the 100 mortices are cut for the crib sides. That was yesterday.
Saturday went to a 3 year olds birthday party in a town about an hour away. The theme was Bucky Badger....mascot for UW Wisconsin.

Well, back to the day job to pay the bills.

Greg Narozniak
08-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I FINALLY got the 100 amp subpanel installed!! I connected all the new 110 and 220 Conduit runs that I ran through out the garage and everything is actually working correctly :) The Electrican who tied the panel in said "it was the best install he had ever seen, professional or homeowner" :) Also got the three Triton lumber racks hung and loaded them up and I can actually walk around in the garage now.

Next is to build some steel shelving (have to lug them up from the basement) and load them up. Then the wall of workbenches need to be rebuilt because the configuration will be different from my old house. And of course there is the fun task of running the PVC for the DC and running some Copper air lines. Pics to follow as soon as I find the camera.

Ryan Ricks
08-28-2006, 3:00 PM
I finished up the bookshelf carcasses - just need to finish up the adjustable shelves (hopefully tonight), then it is ready for painting.

-Ryan

Gredo Goldenstein
08-28-2006, 8:24 PM
Saturday I worked on purpleheart and maple box that I started months ago, made a mistake that really ticked me off and set aside until now. All that is left is install hinges and finish.

Sunday was a trip to BORG and got half the kitchen walls painted while the Mrs was at work.

Russ Massery
08-28-2006, 9:01 PM
I was able to get into the shop for a three day weekend! So I pretty much was able finish the mortises on the table base and dry fit it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41961

Frank Pellow
08-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Margaret and I have spent most of the summer at Pellow's Camp inear Hearst in Northern Ontario. We returned south earlier in the week so that Margaret can deal with our vegetable harvest in Toronto. I planned to return to camp today with my brother John, but enroute to Toronto from Hearst, we stopped in at my daughter Kristel's home near Ottawa. They have recently had an above ground pool installed and Kristel and her husband are madly trying to finish a deck around the pool. So, I volunteered to delay my return to Pellow's Camp and to help them for a few days.

Yesterday morning, I drove from Tronto to Kristel's place (about 4 hours) then built these stringers for stairs to connect their old deck with the new one around the pool:

Today I finished the steps (but not the rail). Here is a photo:

The material is very local Eastern White Cedar cut at a sawmill about a 5 minute drive away. It is nice wood and inexpensive but some pieces need to be planed and every piece needs to be sanded.