View Full Version : Mesquite coffe table delivered

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-28-2006, 8:38 AM
Not much getting done in my shop the past several months...but here's a mesquite coffee table and side table of the customer's design. I wasn't at all excited by the funky legs, and still haven't made up my mind completely...but they don't look as bad as I thought they would. The coffee table is 34 x 56 x 16 high, side table is 27 x 27 x 21 high. Finish is WATCO natural topped with Sherwin Williams pre-cat...three light, thinned coats to offer some degree of protection, but leave the 'wood' feel. The side table is visible in the corner, but I didn't get a decent picture of it by itself.

The coloring on the coffee table top is kind of 'weak', but I had it custom cut, so it hasn't had any time at all to darken up. A good picture would show that the grain on the top, while not really 'figured', is very nice. Buyer wanted a very clean, 'well matched' top. They seemed happy...so I reckon I am, too. ;)

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/knippacof.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/knippacof2.jpg

Randy Long
08-28-2006, 8:55 AM
That is great looking wood. Would it be possible to let us know how much the wood cost for this project?

Mike Hill
08-28-2006, 9:26 AM
Kirk: I don't like Mesquite for Barbecue wood, so I assumed I would not like it for building furniture. I was wrong and this piece looks very nice. Based on the Mesquite Trees I have seen, these are fairly wide boards. What was your source for the lumber and how difficult is it to work?
MIke

John Timberlake
08-28-2006, 9:30 AM
Love the way kept the design simple to let the figure of the wood speak for itself. Great job.

Jim Becker
08-28-2006, 9:33 AM
KC, I kinda like this piece. The "funky" legs do provide a "well grounded" feel and a bit of oriental intrigue. Very nice!

Martin Lutz
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
KC, I love the top and like you I am still digesting the legs. They provide a very solid look for the table. You have done some great work whether or not the design is your favorite. Also, I am planning on doing a bedroom set out of Mesquite so I will be picking your brain some time in the future.

Hank Knight
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
KC,

I like it a lot. I think the design works perfectly with the mesquite. Is the design yours? Very nice!

Hank

Martin Shupe
08-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Very nice, KC, the top is beautiful!

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-28-2006, 1:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. This was not my design...but I think I had something to do with the legs being the way they are now, because the customer originally wanted them 'big part up, small part down'. I couldn't see that at all. I think the idea for tapered legs came from a Greene&Greene book (Green?), and from the tapers found in some Stickley designs.

This material wasn't really 'big' for mesquite. Although a couple of the pieces were pretty wide, that's not uncommon. It's more diffucult to find length. This top came from one 6' log that was pretty straight. I didn't get the whole log, I just told the sawyer what I needed for the top. Most anybody selling mesquite should be able to provide material like this, but the price will vary.

I've been paying anywhere from $9-15 for clean 6/4. The price goes up with the length. I had these leg blanks sitting around for a long time waiting for something 'special' to come along, becasue several of the eight have some beautiful 'waterfall' figure, and they're also very clean. I didn't want to use them on these tables, but I couldn't find any more anywhere that were worth using. :(

Chris Padilla
08-28-2006, 5:01 PM
The legs are definately what stands out with the piece...I'm not sure how well I like them either but mesquite trees tend to be short and stout so the piece is a reflection of the tree it came from so that in itself is pretty cool.

I just wish mesquite wasn't so darn expensive...it is like some exotic/domestic wood of some kind. I thought mesquite trees were like 'trash trees' of sort growing where other trees can't hack it. But, I love the color and grain of mesquite...so awesome and all your projects bring it out so well, KC!

John Scarpa
08-28-2006, 6:37 PM
KC, I like the way that table looks. the figure along with the oriental touch is cool!

Ron Jones near Indy
08-28-2006, 7:54 PM
Outstanding work KC. I kinda like the legs.

Corey Hallagan
08-28-2006, 8:07 PM
Good looking table KC. I always enjoy seeing your mesquite furniture.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2006, 8:28 PM
KC..........I sure do like the looks of the mesquite you use! Nice table! I like the legs....they seem to give it an "asian" flavor.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Great wood, great design and great execution. Just up to the KC standard. Cheers.