PDA

View Full Version : two more NE's...

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 8:25 AM
...turned from oak, about 4.5" tall at the highest point. The second one is in the DNA presently, first one's already wrapped. The first one is kind of dumpy looking at the bottom; I'm going to see if I can refine it when I finish turning it in a few weeks. The second one I went with an ogee profile and am happier with it. I didn't realize how deep I was cutting at the end of hallowing; I almost would have had a funnel there. Had to laugh at myself over that one. BTW, tenons on both will be removed during final turning. Comments, critiques welcome--any will help me continue learning. Thanks for looking.
Mark

BTW, the first one looks like there is a severe gouge in the inside surface to the left near the top. That is actually a burn, not a gouge. I was holding the bowl gouge incorrectly.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Mark, it looks like you have a nice pair of roughed NE cups. I personally think the curve on the second piece is more appealing than that of the first, however that is, in fact, just my preference. I can't see any flat spots or abrupt curve changes. It looks like you have yourself a pair of keepers.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2006, 6:55 PM
Mark those are a couple of beauties. Ditto what Henry said. The first one I would have made the base smaller. Nice job.

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 8:32 PM
Thanks, guys. Well, I've now pulled the second one out of the DNA and to my dismay there is a tiny crack, head to toe, that could prove fatal. I wrapped it anyway, and I'm not ready to give up on it. I left the wall about 1/2" thick so I'll be able to remove a good bit of stock when I put it back on the lathe (possibly eliminating the crack--hopefully?). Given the presence of the crack, I'll undoubtedly begin with a scraper, not a gouge!:p

Bernie, it's funny you should say what you did about the base size on the first one. I wanted it smaller, but I had to dimension the bottom of the piece to fit the smallest capacity of my Talon chuck. Having experienced that, I have now ordered a set of spigot jaws for my chuck and LV should hopefully ship them tomorrow (along with a few other toys--err, I mean TOOLS).:D

Thanks for the comments. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to finish these pieces.

Mark

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2006, 8:37 PM
Mark.......You are braver than I! The little oak I've turned....I don't think I'd want to turn a bowl. Good luck!