PDA

View Full Version : My lasers is having a BBQ!

V.A Melle
08-28-2006, 8:08 AM
I swear I'm cursed this week...I'm trying to cut through 5mil of mahogany on a laserpro spirit 30wt and my settings are sp .04% po 100 dpi 500 ppi 400. I've never cut this wood before. Im trying to put a box together and my machine is 2.0 lens. It took 5,6,7? passes to go through and by the time I was done the edges where the joints are, were crumbling. Oh and my exhaust system was at the same level as my machine is so I noticed that when the air was being sucked out that the flames where not being sucked downward. So I moved the exhaust on the ground and it wasnt so bad but its still having a BBQ. Also in my other post I have a air compressor issue. I'm begining to think I cant cut through anything more then 3 millimeter thick. what settings should I be using and is a different lens required? I just cleaned all my mirrors and lens. What else? Please save me from kicking this machine out the door! by the way I need a some kind of tape-application tape but what kind and where can I get some. I trying calling a company here on Oahu but for the life of me and the person on the phone we cant seem to get it right-they are a sign company. Is there a brand name? Help

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2006, 8:19 AM
I doubt it's your laser. Depending on the variety, mahogany can be impossible. I had a guy bring in some African that was 6mm, and all it did was burn. Flamed, scorched, but no cut. Mine's 45 watts, and I tried many combinations of settings. Convinced him to switch to Oak. The best wood to cut is basswood, but you should be fine with bitch, oak, alder, pine. Some exotic hardwoods are dense and contain a lot of oils that burn.

I don't know what would happen if you tried Banyan, we don't have those here but I do have 3 bonsai banyan that I grew from seed.

The tape is called "transfer tape". Brand names R-Tape, TransferRite.

Rodne Gold
08-28-2006, 8:26 AM
You wont cut thru 5mm mahogany with a 30w , as Joe says , its packed with resins etc that will just sap power.
What you can do is use 3mm low density fibreboard and have it veneeered either side with mahogany (it will come to about 5mm total) , that will work and be able to be cut in a single pass.
Any paper based vinyl sign application tape will work as a mask.
PS DPI is not relevant when vector cutting , its only power , speed and PPI,

Mitchell Andrus
08-28-2006, 8:53 AM
I routinely cut mahogany on a Laserpro Spirit, 60 W with very little charing - no more than a blackened edge.

3/8" thick - 1.5 speed, 100% power, 175 PPI, 2" lens.
1/4" thick - 4 speed, 95% power, 175 PPI, 2" lens.

400 PPI is way too high.

I think the trick will be to select lightweight wood when going thick. Mahogany can be nearly as light and dry as balsa (luan), or as hard and oily as ebony. Perhaps swiching to a lighter variety will help...

Mitch