PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkled maple plate

Barry Stratton
08-28-2006, 3:21 AM
This one started out as a 1/2" thick piece 8"x8" in the scrollsaw wood pile. Used a glue block, turned between centers until I made a "foot", then chucked up and went at it. Final dimensions are about 7 1/2 wide, 3/8" tall, and 1/4" at the thickest.

After my last try with a piece of walnut, I hand sanded the nib off the bottom thru 600 grit. Finished with a couple coats of BLO at the moment, not sure what the final top coat will be.......

Comments, especially how to make the next one better, welcome!

Vaughn McMillan
08-28-2006, 4:42 AM
What? Don't they have irons in Alaska? A good steam iron could get rid of them wrinkles, Barry. Must be the night for wrinkled wood. Both you and Dick Parr should look for better wood laundry services. :p

That's a beautiful piece of wood, and the form is...well...round. With 1/2 inch to play with, there's not a lot room to play with form, but you did a great job. Musta been a bit nerve-wracking getting it thin and even. :D

- Vaughn

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 8:04 AM
What? Don't they have irons in Alaska? A good steam iron could get rid of them wrinkles, Barry.
Just apply some wood starch. That should take care of it.:D :p

Nice work Barry. Love that grain.

Mark

Raymond Overman
08-28-2006, 8:48 AM
Barry,

I'm sorry you went to all that trouble to find out that the piece of wood was curled up inside. Maybe you can send me those type pieces and I'll send you some nice straight grained cabinet grade maple that doesn't have all that mess inside.

Nice looking piece. The curls awesome.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-28-2006, 8:52 AM
Sure does look wrinkled don't it :D

Very nice, so you used to cut this kind of thing up with the scroll saw....... :eek:

Oh the Humanity!! ;) :D

Travis White
08-28-2006, 9:47 AM
Good job! Now you need to iron out all those wrinkles.

Jim Becker
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Yum!!! Wonderful piece of maple and an excellent platter.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Barry, you've done an excellent job with what must have been a challenging piece. I can't imagine turning a platter from 2/4 stock...

Dennis Daudelin
08-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, I'm shaking thinking about making it from 1/2 stock! I couldn't even think of a better way to do it...

But if you use thicker wood, you have more design and decoration opportunities. If you can make one that thin, then anything thicker was be really easy!!

Thanks for sharing!

Dennis

George Conklin
08-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey, Barry,

That is sure a beautiful piece of maple.

Are you having any trouble with "flex"? Or, How are you dealing with it?

Turning something that thin makes me curious:confused: .:) .

Andy Hoyt
08-28-2006, 12:53 PM
1/2"! Not me. No way. No How.

Nicely done!

Keith Burns
08-28-2006, 1:27 PM
Barry, all your going to get from me on this piece is a "WOW".:) :) Great job.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2006, 6:48 PM
Barry old buddy I guess I will have to stick a iron in the next package. Sheesh. Figured they had those in Alaska.

Hey that is a beautiful piece Barry. Form and finish look great. Nice job.

Paul Downes
08-28-2006, 6:58 PM
Barry, would you mind explaining the glue block part in detail. I have a premo birdseye round 14" X 3/4" that needs to be platterized and I have never done the glue block thing. Very nice job on the wrinkled wood!! love that stuff.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-28-2006, 7:53 PM
VERWEEEE NITH U WASCALLY WABBIT! HEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEE

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
08-28-2006, 7:55 PM
WOW! Fantastic Barry. That is a beautiful piece of wood and you did a great job.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2006, 8:29 PM
Nice work Barry! I get seasick looking at the waves in that wood! Beautiful!

Ernie Nyvall
08-28-2006, 9:15 PM
Wow Barry! You did a fine job on that wrinkled wood.

Barry Stratton
08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the compliments. And using thin wood was easy - not many choices so not many screw-up chances.

"Flex" problems?? Man, there is so much going on wrong when a lefty tries to turn righty that I can't keep track of `em all:D . I did use a 4 or 5" glue block so that probably minimized the flex. I get more with a bowl than these plates.

Paul - you asked about glue blocks---- here's a picture of one I just did, pretty simple really.

For a detailed "Platter 101", see this thread by Andy Hoyt http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41351

And Bruce - you been turning exotics again?:eek: