PDA

View Full Version : Wood Magazine Cutting Board

Gilbert Vega
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Just completed a cutting board made from plans in Wood Magazine. I used Curly Maple, Walnut and Mesquite. Finished with mineral oil and beeswax.

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Nice work Gilbert! Neat basket weave pattern. Looks like it was alot of work.

Corey

Rick Doyle
08-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Very, nice - great job! That pattern must have been quite a task! It sure turned out well!

Vaughn McMillan
08-28-2006, 1:16 AM
That's a beauty, Gilbert. Nice and thick, and beautiful wood. Being end grain, it'll last for generations.

- Vaughn

Shawn Oberdorf
08-28-2006, 8:41 AM
Just finished one myself. No point in a pic since its the same thing. That thing is heavy! Might have to make dad one for xmas or something.

Shawn

Ian Gillis
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Just completed a cutting board made from plans in Wood Magazine. I used Curly Maple, Walnut and Mesquite. Finished with mineral oil and beeswax.
I must confess that my first thought was that you're nuts for using curly maple when only the endgrain shows. Then I realised that it probably adds quite a bit to the look of the edges of the board. Any chance of a photo showing the edges?

Also, (for those of us who don't get the magazine) is this glued up from sub-assemblies that were previously glued together and cut to length?

Heh, heh... guess you can tell that I'd like to make one of my own. Great project and you really did it proud !

Cheers

IG

Jerry Strojny
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Looks great!....I like the use of end grain too. They last so much longer that way.

Jerry - who wishes woodworking was his full time job.

Gilbert Vega
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I must confess that my first thought was that you're nuts for using curly maple when only the endgrain shows. Then I realised that it probably adds quite a bit to the look of the edges of the board. Any chance of a photo showing the edges?

Also, (for those of us who don't get the magazine) is this glued up from sub-assemblies that were previously glued together and cut to length?

Heh, heh... guess you can tell that I'd like to make one of my own. Great project and you really did it proud !

Cheers

IG
Thanks for the compliments.

The project didn't take that long to make, mostly glue up time. As you said, 36" long strips of the different woods are glued long grain to long grain. Depending on the thickness required, the boards are then cut across the width and glued up with the cross grain up.
I very satified with the results. The only thing I would change would have been to use a darker piece of Mesquite so allow for more contrast againt the Maple. As far as the Curly Maple goes, it was a scrap piece I had leftover from the chess box I made last year. The curl does show up nice on the edge even considering the fact I finished with mineral oil. I'll see if i can take some pics that show the grain tonight.