PDA

View Full Version : Completed Ash Coffee Table

Neil Clemmons
08-27-2006, 9:35 PM
Just completed this coffee table for my son.

Material is Ash with Walnut accents. Finish is multiple coats of tung oil and wax. Joinery is all mortise and tenon.

I chose to dowel the drawers with the new Miller stepped dowels. Given I wrapped the drawer front with walnut, I was a little worried about dovetailing and the dowels worked well.

Knob is turned walnut - it took a couple of tries to get one I liked.

Thanks for looking. Feedback welcome -

Neil

Russ Massery
08-27-2006, 9:42 PM
Very nice, the walnut accents are a nice touch.

Al Willits
08-27-2006, 9:55 PM
I seem to use the Miller set up more and more, I really like the contrasting color of the dowels and have used that several times on small projects I've done.
Nice piece, thanks for posting

Al

Rick Doyle
08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Nice job, Neil - looks great!

Roy Wall
08-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Very Nice Neil!!........nice accents with the walnut!

Looks good - does (did) the MFT replace your table saw...?

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Great looking coffee table. I love the ash with the walnut accents.

Corey

John Fry
08-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Very nice Neil!

The walnut accent is the perfect amount, I really like your turned knob too, and the effort to cut out and match your drawer front really paid off.

Rick de Roque
08-27-2006, 11:05 PM
I really like the contrast of the Ash and walnut. Good job.

Rick

Randy Long
08-28-2006, 6:15 AM
Love it! Real Nice.

Neil Clemmons
08-28-2006, 2:43 PM
Thanks to all for the positive feedback!

Roy - I have not replaced my tablesaw, though I use the Festool saw and MFT a lot for panel and general cutting. I rough sized all the wood for the table on the MFT, but still used the tablesaw for final cuts of drawer widths, for example. Tablesaw and jointer were great for the leg tapers. Tablesaw was used for the tenons while the mortises were cut with a mortiser. The guide rails and saw did came in handy for final sizing of the top, for example. But I still find a compliment of tools are best rather than a "one tool fits all" approach.

Thanks again for looking and the feedback.

Neiil