PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Table Progress *** Updated***

Russ Massery
08-27-2006, 8:41 PM
This is a base for the kicthen table I'm working on. First of all I love craftsman style furiture. I was inspired by a article in FWW about 8 or 9 yrs ago. The title of the article was " Stickney Done Lightly". Where they built a craftsman style table out of maple instead on oak. I redid the kichten last summer building the cabinets out of maple. The SWMBO saw the article and said she wanted a table like that.:rolleyes: Mostly the design is my own. I took ideas from other tables I researched. I was my first attempt at doing through tenons. I still need to make the keys for the through tenon on the stretcher. So I can break the table down if need be. I was thinking about using walnut for the keys and the pins on the leg tenons.Thanks for looking.

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 8:57 PM
NICE WORK Russ. That is going to be a beautiful piece!

Corey

Jim Becker
08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
"Sturdy" comes to mind, Russ! :) Very nice!

Rick Doyle
08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Russ - that is going to be one strong table when you're finished! It looks great so far - can't wait to see it when it's done. Have you decided on a finish yet?

Norman Hitt
08-28-2006, 3:56 AM
Looking GOOD already Russ, and she's gonna be a Beauty when she's done. Sturdy too!!!

Russ Massery
08-28-2006, 7:19 PM
Rick, I'm going to use Target Coating Precat. waterborne conversion varnish
(Emtech 8000). I used there USL on my cabinets with great success. But I feel I need a little more water resistance. So I going with there conversion varnish. Sealing it first with dewaxed shellac.

Gail O'Rourke
08-28-2006, 9:39 PM
Gotta love those clamps Russ. The table will be awesome, can't wait to see when it's done. I like the "Stickly done lightly"....like decaffeinated.

Russ Massery
09-04-2006, 4:47 PM
This weekend while the "Creek" was down.:cool: I milled up the stock and glued up the top. Today I was able to glue up the last three sections. I also scrapered and took the rotex to it.:D

Russ Massery
09-10-2006, 4:19 PM
The top is sanded and has a coat of shellac on it. (Not in the pic) The SWMBO wanted to see the table in the kitchen. She was worried it was too big. After seeing it in place she's ok with it now. Target coating sent me the the wrong finish so I'm waiting for it's replacement. Hope to have it done by next weekend.:rolleyes:

Rick de Roque
09-10-2006, 5:03 PM
Looking good. How do you like the festool?

Rick

Russ Massery
09-10-2006, 5:50 PM
Rick, Love the Rotex. I bought it with table tops in mind. I use the rotary mode with 60 grit top flatten after glue up. Then sand down to 120 grit in the random mode. Before switching to the 150/3. Mine is the older version of the Rotex.

Steve Clardy
09-10-2006, 8:18 PM
Looking great Russ

Corey Hallagan
09-10-2006, 8:34 PM
Very nice indeed Russ!

corey

Neil Clemmons
09-10-2006, 8:56 PM
Great looking table Russ - i really like the design. The thicker top is a great compliment to the base.

What are the dimensions of the table overall?

Also, curious how you attached the top given the weight.

Thanks -

Neil

Russ Massery
09-10-2006, 9:23 PM
Neil, The measures 42"x 72". The top is 1 3/8" thick. I scaled down all the dimensions. Believe me the top heavy enough. I'm going to use figure 8's hold the top down.

Kevin Blunt
09-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Looking great! Keep us up to date as it progresses.

Rennie Heuer
09-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Russ,

One word....WOW.

This piece is gorgeous. First try at through tenons? No one would have guessed.
I can’t wait to see the finished product. Please post as soon as the finish is dry!

Rennie