PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Panel Saw?

Matt Meiser
10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Anyone built their own panel saw? I'm planning to build one and looking for ideas and photos. I like the idea of knocking things down to size vertically so the sheets are easier to handle.

I'm thinking that I'll build the frame from thin wall steel tubing to save weight (instead of plywood like the Rockler plan) and use delrin or uhmw blocks for the guides along stainless steel tubes. I figure a decent, inexpensive, ball bearing circular saw will make a good motor.

Charles McKinley
10-06-2003, 3:50 PM
Hi Matt,

I have a post about the Sawtrax kit I put together a week or so ago. If I was doing it over again I would use a metal frame as you mention. At the very least ply wood to reduce the weight of the particle board I used. I was to tweak the fence this weekend but had a cold and didn't leave the house. It is within an 1/8" on the cross cut but I want better.

Check out their ebsite for ideas www.sawtrax.com.

No affiliation etc.

Charles McKinley
10-06-2003, 3:50 PM
Hi Matt,

I have a post about the Sawtrax kit I put together a week or so ago. If I was doing it over again I would use a metal frame as you mention. At the very least ply wood to reduce the weight of the particle board I used. I was to tweak the fence this weekend but had a cold and didn't leave the house. It is within an 1/8" on the cross cut but I want better.

Check out their website for ideas www.sawtrax.com.

No affiliation etc.

Matt Meiser
10-06-2003, 4:58 PM
Thanks. I saw your post earlier. I'm thinking that I can probably build the sliding mechanism as well as the frame to save some $$$.

Paul D. May
10-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Anyone built their own panel saw? I'm planning to build one and looking for ideas and photos. I like the idea of knocking things down to size vertically so the sheets are easier to handle.

I'm thinking that I'll build the frame from thin wall steel tubing to save weight (instead of plywood like the Rockler plan) and use delrin or uhmw blocks for the guides along stainless steel tubes. I figure a decent, inexpensive, ball bearing circular saw will make a good motor.

Matt,

There is a good design in Shop Notes (can't remember the issue) that I have with the intention of building it. It hasn't happened as of yet. You may want to look at the Shop notes site and take a peek.

Paul